Giants in Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The titanic event a couple of years ago was excellent, if very busy. Should be good again.

The titanic event a couple of years ago was excellent, if very busy. Should be good again.

i've seen videos from that, it was incredible. the Sultan's Elephant was amazing too. i just went along to have a look and then found myself running down side streets to cath up and pass, to witness it again. the whole choreography of the event is amazing too, it's hypnotic.

there have been queues just to see the grandmother sleeping - i think it will be slightly crazy at the weekend.

anyone who is thinking about going, or lives near enough, GO! it will be brilliant.

right, time to pack - cameras, lenses, memory cards, film, batteries... that should do

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The whole bloody edition of North West Tonight was given up to this giants stuff! No news whatsoever,oh apart from other Scouse stuff! They should rename it Liverpool and the rest of the Northwest Tonight!:headshake:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The whole bloody edition of North West Tonight was given up to this giants stuff! No news whatsoever,oh apart from other Scouse stuff! They should rename it Liverpool and the rest of the Northwest Tonight!:headshake:

Yes indeed - I agree. We live in the far NW of the NW and rarely rate a mention - mind you to be fair not much happens here.

The show is very Liverpool-centric at the best of times but last night was overkill - the feature went on and on and on.....

As for the Giants - how the hell some people were reduced (literally) to tears by them is beyond me. Whether the program editing was responsible for making it look like the whole city turned out I don't know but why anyone would give the things more than a passing glance surprises me.

They look pretty crappy to me - if they actually moved without a *loody great crane right behind them and a heap of thick cables attached to them I might have been impressed.

Would have been more impressive if Suarez* had rushed out of the crowd to bite one though.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I think it is equally Manchester and Liverpool centric - which is understandbale since the vast majority of the populations live in either Greater Manchester or Merseyside. However, I do agree that the giants seems to be overblown somewhat :smile:

Ruddy great puppets...and that is about it...and yes, Suarez would have been fun !

Friday was an amzing day... crowds not far off TdF level in places, i suspect there will be a lot more for the weekend. estimates of 300,000 for friday so far. the city centre was packed and my plan to visit Another Place came to nothing as i couldn't get near the train station. every cafe and restaurant was rammed too.

i had trouble understanding the weird accents of the locals, so i resorted to speaking in french to confuse them.

i didn't understand the Giants thing until i saw the Sultan's Elephant a few years back... i went past and i found myself rushing down a side street to catch up again. if you don't get it, then that's you... many people wonder why i spent a weekend in yorkshire waiting for a bike race to zoom by,

RedRider

Pulling through
It's a magical thing. Took a call from my two nephews last night and they were beside themselves with excitement! The older one just about remembers the last time the giants visited the city and can't believe they're back.
Like laurence I saw the Sultan's Elephant in London and apart from making me feel like an excited kid the scope, artistry and engineering wizardy was breathtaking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom