Giff Gaff any good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
My phone contract is up & I have seen lots of ads for Giff Gaff & had a look at their site.

I don't want a contract or new phone but they offer a very cheap sim only monthly rolling contract with the mobile data usage I need.

Has anyone had any dealings with them ?
Who's network do they piggy back ?

Cheers SC.

ScotiaLass

Guru
They piggy back off O2.
I've not had any dealings personally but my ex uses them and is happy with the service and price of his monthly rolling contract.
If I didn't have a contract I'd go with them :smile:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
My phone contract is up & I have seen lots of ads for Giff Gaff & had a look at their site.

I don't want a contract or new phone but they offer a very cheap sim only monthly rolling contract with the mobile data usage I need.

Has anyone had any dealings with them ?
Who's network do they piggy back ?

Cheers SC.

If you can get a signal they are very good, I have to use EE because where I live I cant get any other providers signal but given the choice Giff Gaff is who I would use, I have a Giff Gaff sim in my "spare" phone that I sometimes take with me when I go out on my bike. They use the O2 network.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm with Giff Gaff as is most of my family so we use the free texts and calls to each other. Normally good, though not brilliant in Wales (not sure any of the ones work that well in west Wales! I moved from EE as I couldn't get a signal inside the house with them. They send me an email every month advising me which tarif to be on, they keep suggesting going down at the minute but I hate getting really close to the line when I was on the next lower tarif.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use GG. Several friends and family are on it too and we get unlimited free calls and texts between us as long as we do a £10 airtime top-up at least every 3 months. That £10 is enough for all my other texts and short calls. I don't bother with data. So I am paying £40 a year, which isn't bad!

If I used data then I would buy a 'goodybag' with a data allowance and still get the free calls and texts.

The one thing you do not get is call centre support. There is a forum and everything goes through that. There have been a couple of service issues in the past couple of years that I have been on GG, but generally the service is as good as O2, since they provide the network.

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
I've been on giffgaff PAYG for a couple of years with no problems at all. 8p a text to Australia/NZ vs 20p from the other networks has saved me a fortune....

It's probably a little off topic, but I don't think I'd choose a company that didn't offer a call app. Tugo is the one o2 use, and I think EE does it too. It just means I can use my phone anywhere in the world if I have a wifi signal, including at home. Also if I am travelling and swap a local sim into my phone, I can use wifi or data allowance to make and receive calls on my UK number.

(No customer service sounds like a plus to me. I don't think I have ever had an issue resolved by O2 CSRs. Hours of frustration are the only thing I'd lose without it)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
On the customer service front, I had some problem when changing my number over, something went wrong in the process, and I ended up loosing my number that I'd had for years. And the problem was sorted pretty promptly though I think they had to call in some engineers to sort it. Can't quite remember now it's about 3 years ago now.

DRM

Guru
Been on GG over 2 years with no problems, I use the £10 recurring goodybag,with 1 gig of data, unlimited texts, and 500 minutes, plus free giffgaff to giffgaff calls, you can't. Go wrong, they are owned by 02 and to be fair the online community help has worked for me when needed.

midlife

Guru
I would go with whoever covers your area best, we were at Gisburn Forest last weekend (note to self to ask why MTB people talk about jumps) and my Orange / EE had signal whilst Tesco (02 I think) didn't.

Shaun

Top Bottom