Gifting ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
people setting up nowdays are too fussy imho around here anyway, i have a perfectly good silver /glass tv stand i cant give away and someone asking for one refused it even though they had been posting they needed one because it didn't match the rest of the furniture .
Its like people expect to have brand spanking new stuff when they buy a house but expect muggins to have gone out to buy it for them
I know where you're coming from, my nieces and nephews and their partners would not move into their first homes until everything was 'just so' and everything has to be new, not secondhand. I guess everyone has different priorities, for my wife and I (many years ago) the most important thing was getting our own home together, the rest could come later. I guess that's because we are from the post-war baby boomers generation where thrift was till a keyword, these days everybody gets bombarded by adverts telling you you deserve the best in everything and credit is easy to come by so expectation of the latest and greatest gadgets, furniture, etc is high.

Reactions: gbb

Levo-Lon

Guru
I gifted a bastad £120 last week on marketplace, he didn't send me the bike part

Reported him to my bank, long time since i got cought by a scaming bastad.

I usedto gift lots of paving, and fence panels are gold dust.. In fact most old wood is wanted by diyers and wood burner owners

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh aye indeed, all of my wood burner fuel comes from around the neighbouhood. Never had to forage further than the next street, and I'm stocked up several years ahead.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I've used Freecycle a lot after moving in here. People seem to be happy to travel quite far for the right (free) thing.

Although there are some odd requests appearing from time to time in the wanted section.

A dinghy and a Smart car (@Drago ?) are the ones that stick in my mind :rolleyes:

Skibird

Three piece suite, king side bed base, digital radio, Electric Lawnmower (left outside with a FREE note on it, went in minutes, but everyone around here does the same thing, especially with fruit and veg, which is great), brand new pictures. Some through word of mouth, others through Wight Bay, here on the island. It was really great to see the bed and suite go to two different young families who basically had nothing to sit on and sleep in. That's just since we've been here. Much more given when we lived on the mainland.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
We passed a house at the right time to pick up a range-style BBQ the other day, left outside a house round the corner with a "please take" sign on it. Boot open, in it went & we cooked on it that evening. Very handy !

Often put stuff up FOC on local facebook pages, but we have found a lot of people saying yes please but never bothering to pick it up.

Top Bottom