Gilet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

I've moved on to much longer rides, and so now been caught out a few times in the rain. I don't really mind that much getting wet but the wind chill gets through the zip of my waterproof jacket and it's a real niggle. Are the zips on gilets wind proof, or are there ones that are offset from a jacket zip? I was thinking of getting one to wear under my normal waterproof jacket which may in turn be used with a t-shirt when (if) the weather gets and stays warmer. Any advice appreciated.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some yes, some no!

I like gilets. My altura one does a pretty good job of keeping the wind off my chest.

Sites like Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles have buyer feedback for their products. Just read what people have to say and you can get a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
This time of year I swear by my windstopper base layer and/ or windstopper jersey, these can then get wet in the rain but don't let the draft of the wind get to your core.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

Thanks everyone, looks like the way forward..
The Proviz Reflect 360 gilet looks very bright, which would be an added bonus but I cannot find reviews that comment on the windproof-ness, anyone any feedback on this aspect alone?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I wear a Castelli Alpha Wind Jersey with nothing but an SS synthetic baselayer underneath in temperatures of 2-3'c and I have been absolutely fine. I have also been caught out by the odd shower and providing that its not a heavy downpour, the jersey can pretty much shake most of it off.

Ive even worn it in quite a persistent though not very heavy downpour and even though the surface of the jacket was pretty wet, the rain never got inside - The sleeves on the other hand did get a little wet. but air drying it made sure it was ready to wear again the very next day.

Sportful have a similar product called the 'Fiandre Light No-Rain Long Sleeve Top' It might be pricey but its worth the money imo.

your millage may vary though 2-3c is fine for me as i run quite hot. With a base layer on, The cold is only ever a problem if you stop for a fair amount of time. If you are of medium or large build though you can easily buy a size bigger to fit extra layers underneath If that is what you wish.

I have an Louis Garneau Gilet here that i bought for cheap from Evans that i have never worn even once. though I might carry it just as an extra layer for the shoreham-on-sea FNRttC

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Or a wicking running / compression type base layer / t shirt
I find these better than cycling jerseys too.
Got an Endura gillet (second hand ! :rolleyes: ) that serves me really well

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks guys, I couldn't find any details about the sizing of the Decathlon one so went for this instead https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenn-Unise...462207357&sr=8-3&keywords=tenns+cycling+gilet slightly more expensive but being a Amazon Prime member means it can be returned with less hassle. I will report back

That looks ok.

I got this last week from Evans and wore it for the first time today - did a first rate job too:

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/six-of-the-best-gilets-between-19-99-and-100.html/7

Top Bottom