GIMP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today I got round to doing something I've wanted to do for years, teaching myself how to merge 2 different pictures as in photoshop, but I couldnt afford that so I used GIMP, which is absolutely free! I've only done the basics of cutting out pictures and layering them onto another but I'm totally hooked. Decided as we aren't allowed to travel I would 'take selfies' at the 7 wonders of the world. Now looking forward to getting more technical and adding shadows, learning about transparency and anything else. I'm a total techno phobe so more than happy with my days work. Obviously the attached pic is blurred intentionally to hide our identities, not a reflection of my newly found talents 🤣

Got to fill these cold winter lockdown days with something,

Attachments

• 20210114_220607.jpg
    20210114_220607.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 18
I used to teach ICT in schools

as a fan of free software (as was my budget) I used GIMP a lot

lesson 1 - introduce GIMP and make sure kids do not Goggle it
Lesson 2 - get round kids sniggering every time GIMP is mentioned

but apart from that

we did a project called "When XXXX visited out school"
they had to take a photo of the school and then find a photo of a celebrity and superimpose in onto the school looking like the celeb visited the school
Extra points if it included a picture of themselves with their arms round the celeb (apparently)

Yeah Gods the Girls loved that one!

The deputy Head was somewhat confused by the kids in the corridor outside my room taking photos of each other in weird poses and their arms out

Photoshop is over rated - a lot of stuff it is used for can be done for free

even did a simple version of the above in Primary -- still worked out fine without the problem of the GIMP name

Today I got round to doing something I've wanted to do for years, teaching myself how to merge 2 different pictures as in photoshop, but I couldnt afford that so I used GIMP, which is absolutely free! I've only done the basics of cutting out pictures and layering them onto another but I'm totally hooked. Decided as we aren't allowed to travel I would 'take selfies' at the 7 wonders of the world. Now looking forward to getting more technical and adding shadows, learning about transparency and anything else. I'm a total techno phobe so more than happy with my days work. Obviously the attached pic is blurred intentionally to hide our identities, not a reflection of my newly found talents 🤣

Got to fill these cold winter lockdown days with something,
GIMP is pretty good but if you're used to photoshop's interface, GIMP is extremely offputting.
Photopea is a web-based Photoshop remake and it's surprisingly excellent. The interface is virtually identical, I'm surprised Adobe haven't sued.

There was a way to get a copy of the now-ancient Adobe Creative Suite 2 (inc Photoshop CS2) without resorting to yarrr-matey behaviour, but it looks like Adobe shut it down.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
GIMP is pretty good but if you're used to photoshop's interface, GIMP is extremely offputting.
Photopea is a web-based Photoshop remake and it's surprisingly excellent. The interface is virtually identical, I'm surprised Adobe haven't sued.

There was a way to get a copy of the now-ancient Adobe Creative Suite 2 (inc Photoshop CS2) without resorting to yarrr-matey behaviour, but it looks like Adobe shut it down.
As I said, I'm a total tech novice, so just to be able to start the program up and tentatively find my way around is good enough for me🤣 computers are hard work for us oldies 😜

Well I was born in 1960 and I kinda manage them OK

mind you I was a programmer for 20 years, taught IT for 13 years and did some IT technician stuff in the meantime so I'm kinda used to it

but age ain;t a factor - just look for a local IT course for 'people of our age'
Silver Surfers or some such
when I was in North Wales they had a course called "Computing for the Terrified" - I would love to teach on that one!

irw

Quadricyclist
Looks like you've found 'magnetic lasso', or whatever the GIMP equivalent name is. May I suggest you now research 'edge feathering' to make it blend a little more ;)

I
OOh, I love free software but I've not got the bottle to google GIMP :laugh:
It really isn't a problem

just don't do it in work or with people watching

and, if you have 'interests' allow a few hours

I've been using The Gimp for pictures and all kinds of other stuff. In fact it was how I made the transfers for my touring bike, and at another time made a 1 metre sign for a bar, it's really versatile and once you work out how to think the right way, great fun.

Top Bottom