Gino Bartali: The cyclist who saved Jews in wartime Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Brings tears to the eyes, that does. :cry:

What a wonderful human being. Serious respect.

Ganymede

Veteran
His son said: "When I asked my father why I couldn't tell anyone, he said, 'You must do good, but you must not talk about it. If you talk about it you're taking advantage of others misfortunes' for your own gain.'"

This is true moral heroism. Wonderful story.

Moving story. As an aside, I wonder why nobody's written a book about the role of the bicycle in WW2. Popular with partisans and the resistance, used by escaped POWs and underground workers like Bartali. Used to great effect by the Japanese in Singapore.

The war is the reason bikes got lighter:

In 1941 the average weight of a bicycle designed for adults was 57 pounds. A 57 pound bike was not considered heavy, but simply an average sized bicycle for the time. In 1942 the government ordered the bicycle manufacturers to make some mandatory cut-backs to preserve valuable metals so they could be used for the War effort.

http://www.examiner.com/article/how-rationing-during-world-war-ii-led-to-lighter-bicycles

Moving story. As an aside, I wonder why nobody's written a book about the role of the bicycle in WW2. Popular with partisans and the resistance, used by escaped POWs and underground workers like Bartali. Used to great effect by the Japanese in Singapore.

The war is the reason bikes got lighter:

In 1941 the average weight of a bicycle designed for adults was 57 pounds. A 57 pound bike was not considered heavy, but simply an average sized bicycle for the time. In 1942 the government ordered the bicycle manufacturers to make some mandatory cut-backs to preserve valuable metals so they could be used for the War effort.

http://www.examiner.com/article/how-rationing-during-world-war-ii-led-to-lighter-bicycles

weren't the beaches of normandy mapped by a cycling spy? i seem to remember that story - a french cyclist, quite famous, would go for training runs along the coast and map it, hiding the drawings in the seat-tube.

i also recall that some of the first troops ashore on d-day had bikes to speed their advance.

Ganymede

Veteran
Didn't someone post something the other day about a cyclists' war memorial from WWI? Or did I see that somewhere else? I suppose I'd better go and look...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Touching story of a man who could have been elevated to 'enjoy' the superstar lifestyle accorded by being one of Benito's stooges.
An inspiration and the e-book is ordered.....

Top Bottom