1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gipiemme Techno 716 700c Aero Wheels

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by wherryman, 24 Aug 2007.

1. wherryman

wherryman New Member

Hi all, does anyone have any experience of these ? I must say they look pretty nice (which as we all know is why we spend more than we should on bikes) but are pretty cheap. The downside of course is the weight at 2kg but the Campag Khamsins that came with my bike are 1.9kg so no big deal. Any thoughts chaps - here is a link where I found them on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170139665473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

2. wherryman

wherryman New Member

or maybe comments if no experience on the merits of the weight/looks/price ratio !

3. slow down

slow down New Member

No first hand experience, but what I've read about Gipiemme wheels isn't great. Hubs don't last long, and they have a habit of going out of true. For half the money you could get a pair of Campag Vento's, which are lighter, reliable, and look just as good IMHO. Fulcrum or even Mavic Aksiums would be be a better buy. Or for a little more than the Gipiemmes you could get some Kysrium Elites, which I can vouch for as being very good wheels.

4. kyuss

kyuss Senior Member

Sorry wherryman, no experience of these but they look a bit heavy even for that price. If good looking factory built low spoke count wheels are what you're after I'd suggest some Xero XCR1 which are almost half a kilo and £20 less. I was quite happy with mine until I replaced them with some handbuilts.

5. wherryman

wherryman New Member

thanks kyuss, I like the look of them and a great weight too.