Girl injured after moving over for car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cyclist aren't the only freeloaders who don't pay Road Tax

I often see passengers in cars!

None of these are paying road tax either - simply freeloading off the driver of the vehicle who has.

When are we going to stop these parasites and make them pay their fair share...

buggi

Bird Saviour
gosh i'm a bit shocked at the negativity of this thread, considering at some point we have all been intimidated and forced off the road. obviously, she was probably worrying too much about the car behind her to really concentrate on where she was going. and those cuts look deep enough to scar to me! whether she wants to be a model or not, it's disgraceful that yet another driver is not held to account for his intimidating behaviour on the road

ChrisKH

Guru
buggi said:
gosh i'm a bit shocked at the negativity of this thread, considering at some point we have all been intimidated and forced off the road. obviously, she was probably worrying too much about the car behind her to really concentrate on where she was going. and those cuts look deep enough to scar to me! whether she wants to be a model or not, it's disgraceful that yet another driver is not held to account for his intimidating behaviour on the road

+1

mangaman

buggi said:

So am I.

The girl got serious injuries by being run off the road by a car which didn't stop.

This is a serious offence by the car driver. The prettiness of the cyclist is irrelevant - surely this is a police case for the motorist for a failing to stop having caused an accident?.

Bond

I can't believe some of the comments on the article itself. It shows the type of people that are around driving.

reiver said:
I am always puzzled by this cyclists and road tax stuff. Most people with bikes also own cars, I have two and neither are all that green so I am paying way above my fair share in road tax, so am I allowed to ride my bike on the road? Should I have a special flag to fly so that motorists don't feel justified in knocking me off.

And what is going to happen when small electric cars start appearing on the road, they won't be paying tax, so can those in Range Rovers paying £400+ per year be morally allowed to ram them off the road?

4x4s already believe they have that right1

On a more serious note Clotaire Rapaille was the marketing guru who started off the SUV craze in the US and their target market was "drivers who knew they were poor drivers, hence more likely to have accidents, and wanted to make sure that the other guy came off worse when it happened"

My original intent when I posted this was to start a discussion about the incident, which it has done. Having had time to think, here's what stands out for me:
1) Why did the mail have to put the whole 'aspiring model' bit in, what's that got to do with a terribly scarred young girl?
2) The motorist didn't stop, why would they? In today's 'if there's blame there's a claim' and 'F88k you Jack, I'm OK' society, they wouldn't either think to or want to for fear of being sued/prosecuted, and due to the innate inability of so many people to face up to what they have been responsible for.
3) Would she have dealt better with the situation with some sort of training in defensive cycling, or not? Many cyclists seem conditioned to think they have to move over if on a narrow road and a vehicle comes up behind them.
4) The 'members of the public who did nothing' always seem to crop up in this type of article. Mind you, there was a case in Peterborough which made national news of a guy who was slumped on a street in broad daylight for two hours, with passers by passing him by, until someone checked and found he wasn't drunk, he was unconciouss and later died.
5) I won't, in future, ever move over for an impatient motorist until it is 100% safe to do so.

'I thought I
was going to die but people just walked past looking at me. I felt so alone.'

If you were me I think you would be used to it.

Crankarm

Guru
Browser said:
My original intent when I posted this was to start a discussion about the incident, which it has done. Having had time to think, here's what stands out for me:
1) Why did the mail have to put the whole 'aspiring model' bit in, what's that got to do with a terribly scarred young girl?
2) The motorist didn't stop, why would they? In today's 'if there's blame there's a claim' and 'F88k you Jack, I'm OK' society, they wouldn't either think to or want to for fear of being sued/prosecuted, and due to the innate inability of so many people to face up to what they have been responsible for.
3) Would she have dealt better with the situation with some sort of training in defensive cycling, or not? Many cyclists seem conditioned to think they have to move over if on a narrow road and a vehicle comes up behind them.
4) The 'members of the public who did nothing' always seem to crop up in this type of article. Mind you, there was a case in Peterborough which made national news of a guy who was slumped on a street in broad daylight for two hours, with passers by passing him by, until someone checked and found he wasn't drunk, he was unconciouss and later died.
5) I won't, in future, ever move over for an impatient motorist until it is 100% safe to do so.

The chap was apparently walking along in the main shopping area when he felt chest pains, clutching his chest he asked for help. People avoided him. He collapsed. People walked around and over him. Allegedly it was some two hours before some one approached him in which time he had died. 2 hours seems a bit of an exaggeration as in the shopping areas of Peterborough one cannot move without being caught on a CCTV camera and there are pesky street wardens making a nuisance of themselves. So maybe this chap was ignored initially but I think 2 hours is stretching it.

I heard that this sort of thing happened at Raynes Park railway station a few years ago...Geezer sitting on a seat...Trains came and went...Eventually someone realised he was brown bread...Took more than a few hours though.....

At around 6.00am on the 5 March 2007, Worcester Park resident Daniel Connell was found dead on Platform 4.[5] His body was discovered by a passenger who alerted a newspaper seller, who then called the police. According to the police, Mr Connell was in accident and emergency at Kingston Hospital on Sunday night, but had discharged himself and made his way to the station. Rumours that the man had been stabbed were denied by police.

It's on Wikipedia.

I had an idiot this morning trying to do the very same thing. he was right up my backside, and when I looked back he signaled that I should be further over to the left. Of course, being quite assertive I stayed put (possibly slowing down a bit). He then overtook. Too close, but I still had my 'get out' space.

It would be very easy for someone to get intimidated. Not everyone has my nerves of steel! :angry::smile:

Top Bottom