Girlfriend's Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Jaded said:
There was a calculation done on the effectiveness of a helmet at speed, based on the energy of the crash at that speed and the absorbing powers of the helmet. It was on another forum and the posts have now gone.

However, from memory, it went along the lines that at 40mph a helmet would ensure that your head hit the hard thing with the same effect as if it hit it at a speed of 38mph without a helmet.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Which, no doubt, will be coloured by you own acceptance of what speeds are possible..

Saying '40mph with a helmet is equivalent to 38mph without' is saying the speed you're going ALONG at doesn't make much difference to head injury. Which is right, but it doesn't back up the anti-helmet argument in the way that they want it to.
The speed you hit the GROUND at is what makes a difference. That isn't necessarily the same as the speed you're going along at, unless you have a habit of riding head on into brick walls.

You can't equate the speed you will hit the ground at to the speed that you are going ALONG at, just by making up the term """energy of the crash""". That's a non-sensical term, what does that actually refer to?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Jaded said:
However, from memory, it went along the lines that at 40mph a helmet would ensure that your head hit the hard thing with the same effect as if it hit it at a speed of 38mph without a helmet.
Very interesting - I'd like to know more about this scary research.

I'm genuinely interested in finding out more about this - I wear a helmet and I always *feel* safer. Having had a recent crash I can say that my head would have come off far worse against a Transit's wing mirror had I not been wearing a helmet, but each to their own.

Jaded

bonj said:
Saying '40mph with a helmet is equivalent to 38mph without' is saying the speed you're going ALONG at doesn't make much difference to head injury. Which is right, but it doesn't back up the anti-helmet argument in the way that they want it to.
The speed you hit the GROUND at is what makes a difference. That isn't necessarily the same as the speed you're going along at, unless you have a habit of riding head on into brick walls.

You can't equate the speed you will hit the ground at to the speed that you are going ALONG at, just by making up the term """energy of the crash""". That's a non-sensical term, what does that actually refer to?

I fear there is little point in continuing this.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think you should let her make up her own mind as to whether she wants to wear one, I do wear one as I wanted my kids to wear helmets, though I don't force them wear them - eldest one doesn't.

What lenght hair has she got... if its long then she may need to tie it back if she isn't wearing a helmet... that's my main problem when I'm not wearing a helmet.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Although I do own a helmet I rarely wear it (it hiberates in one of my panniers)
I have managed to survive 38 years of riding without serious damage, i've come off/been knocked off more times than i an actualy recall, but luckily i've never landed on me head.
When my eldest son was little & in a child seat he wore a helmet, my youngest 2 originaly wore helmest when in the trailer, but after the first couple of trips I stopped, the trailer had no 'allowance' for them & their heads were pushed forward, I deciced that neck damage caused by this was more serious than the need for head wear.
They now both have little bikes & when we go out for a VERY slow toodle they have to wear their helmets.
Last week as I loaded then both inot the trailer to take #2 to school, #3 looked at me & asked "Mummy where's your helmet?" I gave a vague non commital answer, he crossed his arms, put on a seriuos face & replied "I am not gong anywhere till you put it on" The exact same words I had used to him the day before!
I have worn it now every day for the past week, on the grounds that i not expect my kid to do something I won't.
I don't know if I am any safer wearing it, but it's ruining my bloody hair style!!!

Odyssey

The 'to be, or not to be' (helmeted) debate aside, two points to make about the original post.

The kind of helmet she wants is probably sturdier and safer than the flimsy paper hats that qualify as cycling helmets.

And. They're a pure sweatfest. Make no mistake, you will lose 50% of your body weight in fluids in the first half hour of riding.

shooter560

All this talk about inafective protection offered by cycle helmets, should maybe take a look at a few of the pro tour crashes and see how hard they hit the ground, and in some cases head first, and then tell me if you really think no helmet is an option.

Why take risks, even for fashions sake, I know from personal experience of 20 years ago that cycle helmets can and do save lives and or serious injury, each to their own but I'll protect my head thank you.

Jaded

If every ride was like a pro tour (i.e. in groups of riders riding very close together at extraordinary speeds) then you might have a point.

Odyssey

Off-topic, but recently, everytime I'm about to bomb a hill, I get the strange sensation that I've forgotten to put my seatbelt on.

Should you decide to proceed.......

What would also concern me is that there is no "standard" stated onthese helmets.

These standards are the ones that give a guide to protection.

The easiest one to pass is th basic requirement for sale in the UK

If there is no sticker stating EN1078 - do not touch it!

Other standards are tougher to pass requiring higher impact resistance, and different resistance to shaped object.

CPSC or ANSI stickers are better then EN1078

The toughest helmets pass the SNELL certification.

Finally paint and transfers can degrade the helmet's structure and affect the effectiveness of the helmet - get assurances that this has not happened.

Top Bottom