Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
the fact remains that he is tarred with the "drug cheat" label

That's your perception, not mine. We'd gone 32 pages of the thread before anyone felt it was worth mentioning - the racing is far more interesting than a two-year-old disciplinary case.

If anyone wants to discuss it, could they please start a separate thread rather than derail this one?

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Three stages in the Alps to finish the race. The strongest climber has got to have a chance of winning one or two of them, even riding conservatively (and hell, on the last day before the parade to Rome, he doesn't need to be conservative).

I'd agree with all that.

There's been a lot of talk about how tomorrow's stage to Pratonevoso will suit Dumoulin. I'm not sure what that means. It's 15km at 7% average. I doubt he'll be able to claw back any time on Yates.

The Bardonecchia finish (stage 19) looks pure evil - last 500m is at 11.6%. That's going to be hard for Dumoulin, but then again he coped quite well with Zoncolan. Should suit Yates perfectly though - he's got to be favourite for another stage win there.

The Cervinia finish on stage 20 looks a bit more benign - the climb is long and has some steep ramps but the last 2km are much flatter (around 2%). That could help Dumoulin if he wants to attack, but again, he's unlikely to claw back a significant amount of time.

I cant see where dumpmoulin could claw back any time at all given the terrain and the form Simon Yates is in , its his to lose barring a mechanical/crash disaster .
I do think Froome will go all out for a podium spot, though whether he manages it or not is another question .
Aru, hmmm don't know whats going on with him, I heard on Eurosport yesterday that his team have said they will continue to support him in the gc position, but he doesn't get to call the shots as to what races he enters like they have allowed him to do in the past..
I think this giro has been the best of recent years.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
That's your perception, not mine. We'd gone 32 pages of the thread before anyone felt it was worth mentioning - the racing is far more interesting than a two-year-old disciplinary case.

If anyone wants to discuss it, could they please start a separate thread rather than derail this one?

I didn't start it :angel:, but fair enough .... :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I didn't start it :angel:

Noted :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Fun and games have started already on today's stage - UAE and Bora missed out on the early break so set a high pace to chase it down, which caused a split in the peloton. And it looks like Froome and Lopez have been caught the wrong side of it...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Fun and games have started already on today's stage - UAE and Bora missed out on the early break so set a high pace to chase it down, which caused a split in the peloton. And it looks like Froome and Lopez have been caught the wrong side of it...
It's all over the shop. This is almost like they've banned the race radios.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Peloton back together again, with the break reduced to just three riders off the front (ETA: quite a few more have joined them now). Seems to have settled down a bit, but the pace is still very high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom