Giro 2021. (with spoilers )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
It takes the biscuit they ban the super tuck before someone crashes but every year loads go down hard because of all the town obstacles. :rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's nearly time for Orla on Quest @ColinJ
The first thing that she did on the highlights show this evening was to apologise for 'Fred' clicking the wrong button yesterday! What amazed me was that nobody noticed. I could see them getting a few minutes in but an hour of it? :wacko:

I didn't know who Orla is (apart from the fact that she is presenting the Giro highlights on Quest) so I searched for info... she has an interesting background and knows what she is talking about.

Oh, and I thought that the last few km today were pretty dicey too... Sprints are dangerous enough without funnelling the peloton down an obstacle course!

Yes hopefully....not easy to watch here's the crash from a different angle.Fecking lethal ! Youd think maybe they could have some sort of warning well before these obstacles.No room for error at that speed.

View: https://twitter.com/ruedalenticular/status/1392558171437285376?s=19

Feck! What were they doing 50+ kph?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yes hopefully....not easy to watch here's the crash from a different angle.Fecking lethal ! Youd think maybe they could have some sort of warning well before these obstacles.No room for error at that speed.

They interviewed deGent after the stage and he said there were about 10 warnings of the central road furniture over the race radio.
Races have to finish in towns for commercial reasons and this means the fastest part of the race is on narrowest roads wth most road furniture. I don't think there is much more you can do. It just needs one rider to not pay attention to the warnings (Dombrowski?) and that's that

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

What sort of warning would you suggest besides the giant pedestrian crossing signs hanging above the road, the centre line going solid and then widening into hatching, the huge orange padding strapped to the front of the island, the marshal blowing a whistle and waving a flag and reportedly the warnings over race radio?

Looks from that clip like Dombrowski hit the marshal and then his bike took out the others. ☹

the marshal blowing a whistle
according to what was said on tv yesterday the marshall didnt have a whistle , which was part of the problem , normally if you are a few riders back you could here the whistle,... even if you couldnt see an obstacle because of riders in front you would know an obstacle is there.

as for....the centre line going solid and then widening into hatching, do you think you would notice that in the middle of a peleton at the speeds they was doing yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
What sort of warning would you suggest besides the giant pedestrian crossing signs hanging above the road, the centre line going solid and then widening into hatching, the huge orange padding strapped to the front of the island, the marshal blowing a whistle and waving a flag and reportedly the warnings over race radio?

Looks from that clip like Dombrowski hit the marshal and then his bike took out the others. ☹
Something high up ? Visible from far away ? Wrapped in bubble wrap ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom