Giro d Lombardia Sat 9th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Getting back to Pogi he's class isn't he ! Looks like he has fun on a bike and that win was never really in doubt.Barely gets out the saddle when Masanda attacked him.

Interesting week, Rog who had looked so impressive all week had ultimately “ left it on the training pitch”, well left it in Milan Turin” Pog looked good in Tri Valli, but less so in Milan Turin, was he sandbagging on Wednesday? And on the last race of the year, Yates has finally beaten Rog in a sprint!

RazorBoy

Pogačar - what a rider!

Not only has he won L-B-L, the TdeF and the Giro di Lombardia this year, he’s in great company with Coppi and Merckyx as the only other two riders to achieve this feat.

Chapeau indeed - and he’s only 23.
Coppi didn't do it. Coppi's TdF wins were in 1949 and 1952. He didn't win Liege at all in his career. Merckx is the only rider to achieve this feat before Pogacar, doing the triple in 1972 - along with Milan-San Remo, Fleche Wallonne, Girod'Italia (inc. 4 stage wins), Brabantse Pijl, Giro del Emilia,GP d'Escaut, A Travers Lausanne...and in the middle of the season went to Mexico and set a new Hour Record.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well, that’s put me in my place! :okay:

I blame the commentator on Norwegian Eurosport for spreading fake news.
Fausto Coppi is the only other rider to have won the Tour and at least two monuments in a single year, which I imagine is what the commentator meant. If you make it a grand tour plus two monuments, you still don't find anyone else.

A feat that bears comparison is winning a grand tour, a monument and the world road race in a single season. This has been done by Alfredo Binda (1927), Eddy Merckx (1971) and Bernard Hinault (1980).

Pogacar has achieved his feat when comfortably younger than any of them. He's looking quite promising.

Top Bottom