Gitane vs Faggin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just got back from the ride l normally do on the Gitane but tried out the Faggin today on the same route, hot sun and a bit of a headwind in places.......4mins faster than my best time on the Gitane !
Faggin rules :whistle:

now go and try both bike in the opposite direction and take the average for each bike and then see which one is quickest

Yep its a drag !
But seriously though, why is the Faggin quicker do you think?
I put Schwalbe Duranos on the Genesis for the winter and I've felt like I've been cycling through treacle ever since (though I've not had a puncture). I've got Luganos (schwalbe's cheapest) on the Raleigh, and they feel light and responsive even with fairly low pressures. And yet... according to the rolling resistance website (now that's a man who should get out more) they're miles worse, especially at the pressures I tend to run them!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
But seriously though, why is the Faggin quicker do you think?
I put Schwalbe Duranos on the Genesis for the winter and I've felt like I've been cycling through treacle ever since (though I've not had a puncture). I've got Luganos (schwalbe's cheapest) on the Raleigh, and they feel light and responsive even with fairly low pressures. And yet... according to the rolling resistance website (now that's a man who should get out more) they're miles worse, especially at the pressures I tend to run them!

i try and just use Rubino's on all bikes with either 23 - 25mm tyres that way if there is a big difference i can normally rule tyres out as a factor

Good idea, new bike placebo can be quite a factor. I had lithions on the Genesis previously and they felt nice but I had 3 punctures in a week so lost confidence in them a bit

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Here we go then with a few stats. The Faggin is 55cmx55cm , wheel base 100cm. 170mm crank with Michelin Tracer tyres 700x20 in surprisingly good condition.
The Gitane is 53x53cm, wheelbase 100cm. 170mm crank with Michelin BIB TS 20 tyres 700x20. in unsurprisingly a bit knackered condition.
I have bought some cheap Schwable Luganos 700x23 to replace them but haven't got round to fitting them yet.
So apart from frame size ( is it that critical ?) not much difference except maybe the feel good factor !

Top Bottom