Give Cyclists Room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's a numbers game mate, and you're right, primary isn't always the correct place to be. All road positioning is about communicating and balancing risks, not eliminating them. For example primary when passing a side road reduces the chances of an accident from:

* A driver left hooking you
* Some other driver in the side road poking his bonnet out too far because he can't see down your road.
* A third oncoming driver turning right in front of you

On the other hand it slightly increases the chance of "being taught a lesson" by an angry and impatient driver behind you. This last is reduced by the move out to primary and a good look behind you into his/her eyes before reaching the side road. Overall, in this situation, being well out in the lane makes you a winner in most encounters.

I think as I had just had a puncture that I didn't aprticulary want another puncture on the way to work.I chased after the tithead but he got away.:biggrin:

I did notice he gave the cyclist in front of me a bit up the road sufficient room.Perhaps he heard me go off on one.:becool:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Don't you love how a "further out" gesticulation and a shouted "Oi" or an Airzounding after a passing driver makes all the others following give three times as much as is needed?

Number14

Veteran
bonj said:
i wouldn't mind one for my van if anyone knows how i can get one.
can you get the sort that you stick on to the body rather than the window, as my back window is tinted.

I'm not usually a gambling man but I'd wager that it's a white van! :tongue:

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Thanks BM.

Yep, got it a few days ago. Been waiting to put it in place (had this damn bug thats been going round, not really ventured outside)

Sat in the boot this a.m. with a hairdryer, removing the original dealer sticker etc.

bonj2

Number14 said:
I'm not usually a gambling man but I'd wager that it's a white van! :tongue:
yep. with a red stripe and a green stripe.

gambatte said:
Thanks BM.

Yep, got it a few days ago. Been waiting to put it in place (had this damn bug thats been going round, not really ventured outside)

Sat in the boot this a.m. with a hairdryer, removing the original dealer sticker etc.

try turps/meths if it won't come off. Put some on a rag, rub it at the edge, peel a bit, rub some more, peel a bit more, etc. Great for removing stubborn stickers, like the sort car dealers put in the windows with an obscene amount of strong adhesive because they don't want you to take it off 'cos they'd rather you drive around in an advert for them so they can lure other people there and thus make more profit. :sad:

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
yep. with a red stripe and a green stripe.

try turps/meths if it won't come off. Put some on a rag, rub it at the edge, peel a bit, rub some more, peel a bit more, etc. Great for removing stubborn stickers, like the sort car dealers put in the windows with an obscene amount of strong adhesive because they don't want you to take it off 'cos they'd rather you drive around in an advert for them so they can lure other people there and thus make more profit. :tongue:

sorted bonj.

hairdryer 1st, then used spray on orange degreaser and an old kitchen sponge. 10 year old adhesive lifted no probs

Top Bottom