Giving Up Smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I have made an executive decision. I have two cigarettes left in the packet and I will smoke them during my dinner hour and do not intend to buy anymore....

Yay! :smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm looking at it from the point of view that I intend to stop anyway so there is no point in putting it off.

DTD

Veteran
Sorry about your uncle.

I smoked about 40 a day for 20 years, gave up about 10 years ago.
I've had cancer a couple of times, but am OK at the moment.

Realised one day that fags were costing me more than the mortgage. I found a pack of Nicorette chewing gum worked wonders – when If I started gasping I had one and it stopped the gasping.

As you smoke so few a day it sounds like it's more a habit than a thumping great addiction.

Good luck – stopping was the best thing I ever did.

Chrisz

Über Member
Having just given up after 10 - 20 a day for the past 30-odd years I can confirm that it is indeed the 'habit' fags that are the hardest to quit.

There are certain times of the day/tasks that just seem to require a fag! Knock them on the head and the rest becomes comparatively easy.

I went onto rollys first and only a small pack, once that had got down to dry, old stuff there was no real pleasure to be had from smoking anyway and I found it not too difficult to quit completely. I still want one - especially in the evenings - but it is quite often boredom more than anything else.

Stick with it mate :smile: :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
giving up ciggies is tough. I managed it once for eight years and then succumbed again, but gave up again in February 2000 and haven't looked back. The trick, if trick it is, was to give up with somebody else. Neither of us wanted to let the other one down.

darkstar

My father smoked for years, started aged 14 and smoked heavily (pack per day) till he was 50. He suddenly decided to quit, and tried the patches. He failed and it turned out it was because he didn't really want to quit, he was doing it for mum. After a number of failed attempts, one of his close mates died from the bloody things. This proved to be all he needed, he chucked out his multipack of Silk Cuts he had from a recent trip to France and never looked back. After over 35 years of constant smoking, it just took determination, no patches, no books, no drugs etc. If someone really wants to do it, they will.

My sympathies for you uncle. Use that as your motivation.

Top Bottom