Giving way to cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Exactly! So I ask again, by using the lights in a manner not intended by either the RTA or the HC , by inventing new hand signals of dubious clarity, by fostering an expectation that the give way line is optional, who is being courteous to who?

Ah I see it now: you are saying it is right to allow people out from the side road to join the queue as the highway code suggests (counter to your post earlier in the thread about queues in tesco) it is just the flasing part ypu object to?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Ah I see it now: you are saying it is right to allow people out from the side road to join the queue as the highway code suggests (counter to your post earlier in the thread about queues in tesco) it is just the flasing part ypu object to?

There is a major difference between following the HC and allowing space for others to join the road , and not following the HC, clogging up the junctions, negating the give way signs, holding up traffic behind and around you, and causing dangerous confusion by making unrecognised signals.

I would still sugggest that you would have a problem with the people behind you in Tesco's if you stopped, mimed to someone to go infront of you, whilst the cashier waited, holding up everyone else, they let somone else go in front of them etc... just to get a little warm glow for yourself.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I would still sugggest that you would have a problem with the people behind you in Tesco's if you stopped, mimed to someone to go infront of you, whilst the cashier waited, holding up everyone else, they let somone else go in front of them etc... just to get a little warm glow for yourself.

Isn't there something in the scouting promise about doing good deeds for others?

PK99

Legendary Member
There is a major difference between following the HC and allowing space for others to join the road , and not following the HC, clogging up the junctions, negating the give way signs, holding up traffic behind and around you, and causing dangerous confusion by making unrecognised signals.

The Tesco comparison is a straw man completely of your own invention and adds nothing to the discussion.
As is your comment here about clogging up junctions and holding up traffic behind you as the whole point of the thread is not clogging up junctions and giving way.

In slow moving/queued traffic where a road joins from the left, the unauthorised signals of which you complain are in practice simply a signal that the driver is actually going to follow the highway code. ie the traffic behind is not further delayed in any way.

Bicycle

I won't get into the Tesco analogy - I and others questioned its relevance earlier in the thread.

I understand the semantic distinction beteween allowing traffic in (correst and sanctioned) and flashing/using hand gestures (not officially recognised but widely practised).

However, I'm not sure where the above HC rant leaves you in terms of your earlier statement that drivers moving right to let vehicles onto a Motorway were muppets who inconvenience those behind them and reduce three lanes effectively to two.

Everyone I know considers it courteous, correct and admirable both to allow traffic in from side roads when vehicles are crawling and to move right at a Motorway junction to allow traffic to join smoothly.

You differ. Have you thought of using another supermarket? Customers at Morrison's and Asda are ghastly, I'm told. They would probably approve of your queueing etiquette.

:rolleyes:

Little yellow Brompton

Everyone I know considers it courteous, correct and admirable both to allow traffic in from side roads when vehicles are crawling and to move right at a Motorway junction to allow traffic to join smoothly.

The motoring public are reknowned for not reading the HC since one hour before their driving test and thinking that they are above average drivers, everyone you know seem to fall into this category.

Little yellow Brompton

The Tesco comparison is a straw man completely of your own invention and adds nothing to the discussion.
As is your comment here about clogging up junctions and holding up traffic behind you as the whole point of the thread is not clogging up junctions and giving way.

In slow moving/queued traffic where a road joins from the left, the unauthorised signals of which you complain are in practice simply a signal that the driver is actually going to follow the highway code. ie the traffic behind is not further delayed in any way.

Of course they are. In the correct technique the vehicle joining is the road width ahead of the car on the main road, if both vehicles started moving at the same time and accelerated at the same rate the jling vehcile slips into the gap. With the incorrect technique the vehicle in front starts moving, muppet on mai nraod starts hisi flash dance, whilst this is happening neither car is moving, then the joining vehicle moves out and wastes time doing the t"hank you so much how would I ever have got anywhere if you kind kind kind courteous sir hadn't let me out " waving dance, then the warm glow hunter waves back before eventaully moving off. Repeat ad naseum along ,lenght of road and tell me that courtesy is being shown to the poor sap at the end of the loooong line

PK99

Legendary Member
Of course they are. In the correct technique the vehicle joining is the road width ahead of the car on the main road, if both vehicles started moving at the same time and accelerated at the same rate the jling vehcile slips into the gap. With the incorrect technique the vehicle in front starts moving, muppet on mai nraod starts hisi flash dance, whilst this is happening neither car is moving, then the joining vehicle moves out and wastes time doing the t"hank you so much how would I ever have got anywhere if you kind kind kind courteous sir hadn't let me out " waving dance, then the warm glow hunter waves back before eventaully moving off. Repeat ad naseum along ,lenght of road and tell me that courtesy is being shown to the poor sap at the end of the loooong line

You really do have this straw-man lark down to a fine art don't you?

snorri

Legendary Member

I'll condense that for you,"Having painted myself into a corner, I'd rather just forget about the whole thing":thumbsup:

Bicycle

The motoring public are reknowned for not reading the HC since one hour before their driving test and thinking that they are above average drivers, everyone you know seem to fall into this category.

Ha ha ha ha.... :rolleyes:

The cycling public, on the other hand, are paragons of every virtue known to man. Perhaps.

Your use of massive generalisation about the driving public and my entire social group is consistent if nothing else.

I've put my case and stand by every word I've contibuted to this thread.

We appear to disagree. That suits me very well.

I shall continue to let other road users into slow-moving traffic from side roads and continue to move to the right to allow other drivers onto Motorways.

If I didn't have my groceries delivered to my door, I'd also be happy to let little old ladies with one tin of cat food in front of my in the supermarket queue.

Sometimes I'm surprised by how little aggression I attract on the highway. Sometimes I'm not surprised at all.

:hello:

soulful dog

Veteran
This thread is just a reminder that you should never expect anything from other road users. Logic, common courtesy, road sense, whatever, it's all subjective.

Oh, and that the world is apparently made up of LyB and the remaining 6.99 billion of us are muppets!
wink.gif

Little yellow Brompton

This thread is just a reminder that you should never expect anything from other road users. Logic, common courtesy, road sense, whatever, it's all subjective.

Oh, and that the world is apparently made up of LyB and the remaining 6.99 billion of us are muppets!
wink.gif

I'm glad you see it my way!
wink.gif

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    818 bytes · Views: 29
Top Bottom