Glasgow cycling video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yeah,cos Glasgow City Council loves cyclists so much. They're even putting in a new bus lane (Fastlink) which is so good it does away with, erm, cycle lanes, and erm, bans bikes from a bus lane. Not forgetting the proposed 'no faster than 5mph in parks', and the godawful cycle 'path' along London Road to the velodrome, which dots about from side to side of the road, disappears, reappears and takes you where it goes, rather than where a cyclist would want to go. Great. Make a video of all that shyte, city council, and puff about it.
Better off with none of these supposed facilities, rather than the half baked things they come up with in the UK.. Just let us use the existing roads without drivers thinking that we should be using some glass infested path to nowhere. We will never be like Holland, so stop pretending we can be FFS!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I rarely ever use the lane @discominer is referring, as I would go to the velodrome via Dalmarnock.
If you are an absolute beginner though, and want to get to the velodrome from town, the facility takes you there avoiding mixing with the traffic of London Road, which can be scary. Ok, it's a lot of starting and stopping, but usable.
Today I got beeped and shouted at "get in the cycle path". The cycle path (on the Broomielaw) is a building site as it collapsed in the Clyde a few months ago!
The driver could see this clearly, as she was pointing to it ... harummph! :cursing:

U

User6179

Better off with none of these supposed facilities, rather than the half baked things they come up with in the UK.. Just let us use the existing roads without drivers thinking that we should be using some glass infested path to nowhere. We will never be like Holland, so stop pretending we can be FFS!

Exactly< here this pish all the time !!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Only listened to first 10 seconds where it said Glasgow Council were improving cycling conditions!¬

Where and when?
Well, they are not exactly improving, they are creating facilities for visitors for the Commonwealth games.
GCC would like the spectators of the games to move from venue to venue using active travel, ie walking, cycling.
Imo, some of those cycling facilities are downright dangerous, like in the vicinity of Hampden Park.
My ladies cycling group did a review of the route proposed cycling routes for the council last summer, plus I live and work in the area, so plenty of occasions to get beeped at :laugh:
But, hey ho, better than nothing: because of the games we shall be allowed to cycle on some pavements that are now shared use. If this get some folks to take their first journeys on a bike, people that otherwise would be too scared of traffic to even attempt it, it is a step forward.
Cars do not like bikes on the road, pedestrians do not like bikes on shared paths or parks, cannae make everybody happy all the time:rolleyes:

U

User6179

Well, they are not exactly improving, they are creating facilities for visitors for the Commonwealth games.
GCC would like the spectators of the games to move from venue to venue using active travel, ie walking, cycling.
Imo, some of those cycling facilities are downright dangerous, like in the vicinity of Hampden Park.
My ladies cycling group did a review of the route proposed cycling routes for the council last summer, plus I live and work in the area, so plenty of occasions to get beeped at :laugh:
But, hey ho, better than nothing: because of the games we shall be allowed to cycle on some pavements that are now shared use. If this get some folks to take their first journeys on a bike, people that otherwise would be too scared of traffic to even attempt it, it is a step forward.
Cars do not like bikes on the road, pedestrians do not like bikes on shared paths or parks, cannae make everybody happy all the time:rolleyes:

Your better placed than me Pat to judge but am sure you are as frustrated as me at local councils saying one thing but in reality doing fek all of any significants

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Your better placed than me Pat to judge but am sure you are as frustrated as me at local councils saying one thing but in reality doing fek all of any significants
Well, imo, more cycling experience one gets, more one wants to use the road for a speedier journey. Beginners need experience and training before morphing into road warriors, those half baked facilities could start them off.
As @Brandane said, we are never gonna be like the Dutch :sad:

U

User6179

Well, imo, more cycling experience one gets, more one wants to use the road for a speedier journey. Beginners need experience and training before morphing into road warriors, those half baked facilities could start them off.
At the end of the Pat it is attitudes of car drivers and I have said this many times which is wider roads to accommodate cyclists and cars , anything other than that is and not my words or saying ass gravy!!

U

User6179

At the end of day the Pat it is attitudes of car drivers and I have said this many times which is wider roads to accommodate cyclists and cars , anything other than that is and not my words or saying ass gravy!!

U

User6179

Sorry pat , my original statement said at the end of the Pat:smile:,

Top Bottom