Glasgow Newbie.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david_m213

Hi.

I am a 19 year old motorcyclist from Glasgow. I joined this forum as I subscribe to magnatom's youtube videos and heard about it from there.

I have a front and rear suspension Trek mountain bike.

My interest in cycling is mainly for fitness and losing my beer gut. I have an overall interest in bikes generally.

I've been cycling short distances to try and build up my fitness levels. I don't want to push too hard and pack it in.

I have a couple of problems with my bike that I have attempted to fix myself but I don't really know what I am doing. Just tried going by youtube videos and the likes.

Hi David!

Glad I've helped to direct you over here! It's a friendly place and you should get plenty of help and advice.

So do you watch my videos because you agree with what I do, or because you find me amusingly stupid?!:tongue::ohmy:

OP
OP
D

david_m213

magnatom said:
Hi David!

Glad I've helped to direct you over here! It's a friendly place and you should get plenty of help and advice.

So do you watch my videos because you agree with what I do, or because you find me amusingly stupid?!:smile::ohmy:

I watch your videos because I can relate to the experiences that you have on your rides. I also like it because I know the area that you ride.

If I am being honest, I do not believe that recording bad drivers and their number plates will make much difference. That does not mean that I don't think you should keep on doing what you're doing. I love watching those sort of videos that highlight the dangers that you face cycling on the roads. It's entertaining as well.

I was rammed intentionally (on my motorcycle) in the Pollokshaws area just at the McDonalds. The driver then sped off. I reported it to the police station at Pitt Street and I was treated like I was commiting a crime and I was also threatened because I was "wasting police time" regardless of the fact I had the reg "RJ54 HJH" and found out the car wasn't on the insurance database using askMID. I was rammed because the BMW driver didn't like me "skipping the queue" because I was filtering.

I am pretty sure I have seen all your cycling videos. I got pretty angry at the video that was shown on the news where you had the "near miss" and then filtered to the front of the queue of traffic at the level crossing. They tried to make out as if you were going out of your way to break the rules even though you were doing nothing wrong. Just making progress.

My experiences on motorcycle forums leads me to believe that motorcyclists and cyclists don't seem to get along. I don't really get it though. We face similar problems on the road. If anything, I have more respect for cyclist commuters than motorcycle commuters because of their increased vulnerability and their required fitness.

The motorcycle community has taught me alot about life. We mostly all aknowledge each other and help each other out without looking for anything in return. For example, we'd be willing to pay money to get petrol for a complete stanger just to get them home and not expect repayment. I guess the repayment is that when you're in trouble then there'll usually be someone who's going to help you out.

I extend this to cyclists and all motorists (provided it doesn't put me in danger) regardless of the fact that they may not do the same to me. Some people have opinions based on certain road users because of their previous experiences of "that rider that wheelied past them at 150mph" or whatever. I guess it does alot to change their opinion when 100 odd cars pass them and the one motorcycle that passes, stops to check if they're ok.

Do cyclists do a similar thing?

Also, is there cyclist snobbery?

I am of the attitude of "ride what you've got". I feel some motorcyclists look down at people with smaller motorcycles and think they're better than you.

I ride a ZZR600 which is a sports tourer but I also commute on a CG125. I feel most riders look down at me and are smug when they see me on my CG, yet acknowledge me on my ZZR.

Cyclists and motorcyclists have to deal with the same problems on the road, and I have more respect for the cyclist as it's not as if they have a burst of power to get them out of trouble whenever they want.

Keep doing what you're doing. It's at least pretty entertaining. It also highlights the dangers cyclists face with the whole "must overtake" mentality of car drivers. Bicycles should be treated like any other vehicle, and given the appropriate room.

Keep up the good work.

-David.

david_m213 said:
I watch your videos because I can relate to the experiences that you have on your rides. I also like it because I know the area that you ride.

If I am being honest, I do not believe that recording bad drivers and their number plates will make much difference. That does not mean that I don't think you should keep on doing what you're doing. I love watching those sort of videos that highlight the dangers that you face cycling on the roads. It's entertaining as well.

I was rammed intentionally (on my motorcycle) in the Pollokshaws area just at the McDonalds. The driver then sped off. I reported it to the police station at Pitt Street and I was treated like I was commiting a crime and I was also threatened because I was "wasting police time" regardless of the fact I had the reg "RJ54 HJH" and found out the car wasn't on the insurance database using askMID. I was rammed because the BMW driver didn't like me "skipping the queue" because I was filtering.

I am pretty sure I have seen all your cycling videos. I got pretty angry at the video that was shown on the news where you had the "near miss" and then filtered to the front of the queue of traffic at the level crossing. They tried to make out as if you were going out of your way to break the rules even though you were doing nothing wrong. Just making progress.

My experiences on motorcycle forums leads me to believe that motorcyclists and cyclists don't seem to get along. I don't really get it though. We face similar problems on the road. If anything, I have more respect for cyclist commuters than motorcycle commuters because of their increased vulnerability and their required fitness.

The motorcycle community has taught me alot about life. We mostly all aknowledge each other and help each other out without looking for anything in return. For example, we'd be willing to pay money to get petrol for a complete stanger just to get them home and not expect repayment. I guess the repayment is that when you're in trouble then there'll usually be someone who's going to help you out.

I extend this to cyclists and all motorists (provided it doesn't put me in danger) regardless of the fact that they may not do the same to me. Some people have opinions based on certain road users because of their previous experiences of "that rider that wheelied past them at 150mph" or whatever. I guess it does alot to change their opinion when 100 odd cars pass them and the one motorcycle that passes, stops to check if they're ok.

Do cyclists do a similar thing?

Also, is there cyclist snobbery?

I am of the attitude of "ride what you've got". I feel some motorcyclists look down at people with smaller motorcycles and think they're better than you.

I ride a ZZR600 which is a sports tourer but I also commute on a CG125. I feel most riders look down at me and are smug when they see me on my CG, yet acknowledge me on my ZZR.

Cyclists and motorcyclists have to deal with the same problems on the road, and I have more respect for the cyclist as it's not as if they have a burst of power to get them out of trouble whenever they want.

Keep doing what you're doing. It's at least pretty entertaining. It also highlights the dangers cyclists face with the whole "must overtake" mentality of car drivers. Bicycles should be treated like any other vehicle, and given the appropriate room.

Keep up the good work.

-David.

Welcome to the forum David, thats a fair summary, quite accurate. Reassuringly I find some folk are sociable no matter what bike you're on and I like that ;).

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hi david_m213 and xx( to CC :ohmy:

I think your experiences and conclusions on the motorcycling/cycling fraternities are very accurate (and pretty mature :biggrin:). Good on ya :thumbsup:

I have a couple of problems with my bike that I have attempted to fix myself but I don't really know what I am doing. Just tried going by youtube videos and the likes.
You might find these 2 sites useful:
The Bicycle Tutor

and Park Tool

For ALL things cycling, there's the late, great Sheldon Brown

That should keep you busy reading for a few hours ...... :wacko:

Top Bottom