Glasgow to Inveraray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoso7

At the end of May, a friend and myself are planning on cycling from Glasgow to Inveraray. I know the distance is around 60 miles or so which will be the furthest I have ridden but i will be doing training rides and core miles so hopefully I should handle the distance.

I'm really looking for a suggestion regarding the best route to take, and if it is best to stick to main roads all the way or if there are cycle routes at particular sections that you would suggest. I thought that heading towards Dumbarton along Great Western Road/Dumbarton Road is the obvious route, what would you folks then suggest, heading up the A814 towards Helensburgh/Gareloch and joining the A83 at Arrochar or would you suggest going along the A82 along Loch Lomond and onto the A83 at Tarbet? Again any preference to main routes and cycle routes would be good to know if there is an option.

How tough a cycle is this going to be, a bit worried about The Rest And Be Thankfull especially after doing so many miles before getting to it? we would be carrying enough clothes and food for an over night stay and then cycle home again the next day!!

Any help/ suggestions much appreciated.

fenman

good route is annisland out on the A814 to renton thenB857 to Balloch at Balloch as you head into the town there is a road to the left which is a deadend but at the end of it is a cyclepath to Tarbet where you pick up the A83 to inveraray, the rest&be thankful is a nice steady climb last rode it doing le/jog befor that in the glasgow/dunoon road race but i was a lot younger then.Good luck with your ride,enjoy the drop down off the top of the rest

ACS

Legendary Member
The Rest and be Thankful is certainly a climb to look forward to along with the chippy in Inveraray. Grab a large fish supper, bottle o'ginger and sit on the green overlooking the shore. If is raining sit in and don't forget to throw some tourists off their table you will have earned the right to be there, they arrived by charrabang. :blush:

JosefK

zoso7 said:
At the end of May, a friend and myself are planning on cycling from Glasgow to Inveraray. I know the distance is around 60 miles or so which will be the furthest I have ridden but i will be doing training rides and core miles so hopefully I should handle the distance.

I'm really looking for a suggestion regarding the best route to take, and if it is best to stick to main roads all the way or if there are cycle routes at particular sections that you would suggest. I thought that heading towards Dumbarton along Great Western Road/Dumbarton Road is the obvious route, what would you folks then suggest, heading up the A814 towards Helensburgh/Gareloch and joining the A83 at Arrochar or would you suggest going along the A82 along Loch Lomond and onto the A83 at Tarbet? Again any preference to main routes and cycle routes would be good to know if there is an option.

How tough a cycle is this going to be, a bit worried about The Rest And Be Thankfull especially after doing so many miles before getting to it? we would be carrying enough clothes and food for an over night stay and then cycle home again the next day!!

Any help/ suggestions much appreciated.

Zozo, we'll need to get on the road. Two days and I am clear!
:becool::laugh:

Backache

If you are going out via Loch Lomond , it might be pleasant to come back via the Cowal peninsula and the Ferry to Gourock. Quieter depending on route and picturesque.

Top Bottom