Glasgow to Loch Lomond Cycle Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
We rode from Balloch to Hamilton across Glasgow using the cyclepaths during our JOGLE. From Balloch to Dumbarton, the path follows the river. It's a bit rough in places but rideable. It then follows the Canal and an old railway line into the centre of Glasgow. It passes through some pretty deprived areas but we didn't have any problems. On the east side, there's a path that follows the river, past the Celtic stadium, all the way to Uddingston. This is mostly tarmac. I'd recommend the route as it pretty much traffic free all the way to/from Balloch.

The path continues all the way up the west side of Loch Lomond. It's tarmac all the way but a bit narrow in places.

We were on tourers, but you'd be OK on a Secteur.

I've done that route both ways on Galaxy and it's great - no problems whatsoever ... even the signage is pretty good. You ride along the "riverside promenade" in the centre of Glasgow ... and you'll also pass the world's only floating fish and chip shop!

Ignore all the other tosh in this thread ... just follow this route!

Rob

bauldbairn

We've now settled on using the ferry from Gourock to Helensburgh. May have to take a fairly early start to get there for the last ferry (2.35pm) but it will be a bit different.

Martin

Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

Let us(CCers) know how you get on?? :smile:

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
The Erskine Bridge route is probably your best bet, but an alternative would be to head out to Greenock and Gourock and take the passenger ferry over to either Kilcreggan or Helensburgh and head up to Ardlui from there either on the A814 via Garelochhead or over to Loch Lomond side and up the A82/cycle path.

Mate, this was the best advice I've had in a while. We had a great ride to Gourock and in the glorious sunshine, the ferry crossing was ace.

Best £4.70 we've spent in a long while
thumbsup.png

Martin

Top Bottom