LEJOG route choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nathanp2002

Hey, trying to plan my route for LEJOG and overwhelmed but number of routes

This is the route we've decided on:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/244712383

We want to avoid main roads where possible but will be doing this on road bikes so also stick to good surfaces i.e. no/minimal gravel. Looking for any suggestions to make a more scenic route/any parts you would change. Any help appreciated!

Thank you!

robgul

Legendary Member
I would suggest that your planning would be more manageable if you break the route/files down into anticipated daily chunks.

Lots of resource on my website www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk (although it's no longer updated)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hey, trying to plan my route for LEJOG and overwhelmed but number of routes
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/244712383
We want to avoid main roads where possible but will be doing this on road bikes so also stick to good surfaces i.e. no/minimal gravel. Looking for any suggestions to make a more scenic route/any parts you would change. Any help appreciated!
Thank you for sharing your plan. Here are my observations/suggestions. I have ridden almost all I suggest.
  • Carry on through Sticker (past useful little shop btw) and after a km R down valley thru Polgooth to London Apprentice.
  • From the Bodinnick ferry, head for Pelynt (church junction) and then R on B3359. Decent roads, unlike yours.
  • Alternately, use the harbour ferry at Fowey across to Polruan.
  • Cremyll ferry: great!
  • Come off NCN27 just before Goodameavy bridge and up to T junc SW of Clearbrook, and straight over (L over leat and imm R) back onto NCN27 to Yelverton.
  • Bypass Whimple. After the short climb out of Talaton, go straight over and via Colestocks and Hembury Fort to Smeatharpe.
  • Descending Blackdowns, you're better off whizzing down to Staple Fitzpaine and going right there for a straight run to cross the A358.
  • I assume you have reasons to go via Wells. Ultimate destination is Severn Bridge. I prefer going north: eg from Langport to Wedmore and then either up and over from Cheddar
  • or NNW to take the Strawberry Line and NCN26 all the way to the Avon Bridge and then transit W edge of Bristol briefly before dropping through Hallen as you have.
  • Stay on A466 from Chepstow to Monmouth: you are missing a fabulous descent into Tintern and past its abbey. Your descent to Chapel Hill has no merit.
  • North of Hereford consider the A4110. All the traffic goes on the A49.
  • After Hopton Castle, go via Kempton to Bishop's Castle (not via Clun).
  • Out of Whitchurch, I'd prefer via Malpas and half R towards Peckforton. Much better roads than yours via Marbury (NCN45 = pootling along not 'getting somewhere' that bit).
  • I'd go through Garstang.
  • I would (and have) gone into Carlisle rather than round (any of) the bypass. Over the Solway bridge and towards Rockcliffe (on NCN).
  • Be aware that the Camusnagaul ferry is infrequent (and a long way round via Kinlocheil if you can't get it across to Ft William). Having said that, the 10 miles on the A82 from Corran to Ft W is not pleasant.
  • Consider Oban > Craignure (Mull) > Lochaline as an option: scenic in the remote and beautiful sense, to Ardgour/Corran.
  • The canal tow path from Banavie to Gairlochy is superbly smooth though (NB turn R off main road before crossing canal).
  • I assume you will be on widish tyres. You'll need them between Gairlochy and Laggan. And you'll miss the Commando memorial (see avatar).
Good luck with your further planning.
You'll see from this Cycle Chat post that I settled on a route (as a map/navigation aficianado, spending far more time on the planning than I spend riding, I'm certain) with a very similar shape but didn't take on Dartmoor (on D2 of 9 days), nor did I fancy the Mendips nor trekking through Bristol. I chose to cross the Mersey by the Widnes-Runcorn bridge (having considered the 'Ferry; Across the Mersey' (or indeed sub-terranean by rail from Birkenhead), and B+minor roaded it to Preston. After Arran and Kintyre I also ferry hopped via Mull.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
This was my route. You're more than welcome to make use of any (or none!) of it that you want.

~LEJOG~

A lot of extra planning needs to go into getting to and from LE & JOG, too.

Good luck with your plans.

Top Bottom