Glasgow to Worcester route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
This is more of an Audax route than a tour, but I figured it's close to a lot of LeJog routes so there would be people here familiar with these roads. Looking for quicker, flatter ways of making the journey, I've been through these areas a few times and I'm not fussed about sight-seeing, just want to make it for breakfast. :smile:

https://www.strava.com/routes/23412024

Strava sometimes defaults to odd deviations off the road I'd really want to be on, but I think I caught most of them.

Does anyone have any tips on:

* A better route out of Glasgow to pick up the old A74?
* The route by the side of the Lakes - I'm definitely not going through them this time, but is that route okay in terms of traffic?
* The Lancaster to Shrewsbury corridor, A49, yay or nay? I'm happy riding on A roads, and this would be at night so low traffic and I would be lit up like a Christmas tree, but are there any sections of it to avoid, poor sightlines etc? Any other roads just seemed to add distance and hills, I guess that's why the A49 was built where it was.
* Should I go via Shrewsbury at all? I tried to plan a route via Bridgnorth but the hills seemed much greater. There doesn't seem to be any flat bits in that part of the country. :smile:
* Ludlow to Worcester looks like a navigational faff, any other options, even if it adds a mile or two?

Thanks,

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
There is a route that follows the Clyde through some parks and pretty low traffic density out to Hamilton. If you want to PM me an email addy I'll send the .gpx file for it. I've done it both ways on the E2E and it works well. I also have a complete set of .gpx files (that are pretty easy ride) for your route if you ask me nicely!

Rob

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
PMed, thank you (please thank you please?). Getting away from traffic usually means more miles and more hills but will be interested in your routes, there are often sneaky B roads that aren't immediately obvious from a map.

OldShep

Über Member
Coming out of Glasgow . I’ve done a few routes out, a mixture of most of yours. Last time I came through Chaterault Park which was very scenic but not great for covering miles.
A6 Penrith to Kendal is fine
Below Kendal I’d go Nateby, Sedgwick and rejoin A6 at Milnthorpe
Garstang I always go through the town
I've done the A49 as far as Shrewsbury and it’s doable but not very pleasant at times.
I avoided A49 Shrewsbury to Ludlow using lanes to the East coming out at Ludlow racecourse. Through the night though that section should be a lot quieter. I’d cut through the Strettons if looking for some relief from traffic.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Coming out of Glasgow . I’ve done a few routes out, a mixture of most of yours. Last time I came through Chaterault Park which was very scenic but not great for covering miles.
A6 Penrith to Kendal is fine
Below Kendal I’d go Nateby, Sedgwick and rejoin A6 at Milnthorpe
Garstang I always go through the town
I've done the A49 as far as Shrewsbury and it’s doable but not very pleasant at times.
I avoided A49 Shrewsbury to Ludlow using lanes to the East coming out at Ludlow racecourse. Through the night though that section should be a lot quieter. I’d cut through the Strettons if looking for some relief from traffic.

Thanks - yeah it's going to be quieter from Preston to Ludlow, 9pm to 6am if I make it that far, but I'd not really thought of 'bail-out' options so I'll check out some of the parallel B roads to see what they look like.

Top Bottom