Glass fibre / Carbon fibre tyre anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knonist

Little project :Anyone interested in some Glass fibre / Carbon fibre tyre lever?

Due to a puncture tonight, I had to remove the infamous marathon plus on a tight rim, Taking the tyre off the rim was a nightmare; it took me almost 25 mins, and found out it is easier if I use 2 tyre lever at the same time whilst pushing the tyre off the rim.

On the other hand, putting the tyre back on was very easy, until the last bit where I had to push the final bit of bead back into the rim. And I broke one of the two tyre lever I have. I was panicking until I saw a thin bit of glass fibre (30mm*100mm*1mm) I had from work the other day and thought: this bit of material is very stiff yet very difficult to snap, therefore I gave it a try, i slide it in and it works like a treat. Popped the tyre back in within 20 second and no damage to the material.

The material is thin enough to slip to act as a tyre lever, flexible enough not to break and pinch the tyre, but also stiff enough for me to apply the force to pop the tyre in! What a wonderful bit of material.

As a little project, I’m thinking to make a few more glass fibre tyre lever in the future, and wonder if anyone interested in them.

If glass is not stiff enough then I might switch to carbon, but then it might to too stiff and pinch the tyre. (but it wont damage the rim like steel lever)

Just a thought.

Top Bottom