Glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fynn dontay

Anybody know where to buy just the frame

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you need prescription glasses for cycling, get the ones with inserts rather than the ones where the whole wraparound lens is (supposed to be) made to the prescription. The latter look less dorky but just don't work; the distortion becomes extreme at the edges.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you need prescription glasses for cycling, get the ones with inserts rather than the ones where the whole wraparound lens is (supposed to be) made to the prescription. The latter look less dorky but just don't work; the distortion becomes extreme at the edges.
My Oakleys work fine, expensive though. The inserts feel uncomfortable against eye lashes and look awful

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My Oakleys work fine, expensive though. The inserts feel uncomfortable against eye lashes and look awful
Is your prescription negative (short sighted)? Mine is positive (long sighted) which may be more difficult because of the magnifying effect.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Unless you need prescription specs, Screwfix Toolstation are the places to go. Under a tenner will get you something as stylish as "proper" cycling specs at four or five times the price.

As they're proper safety specs they have decent optics and an impact resistance rating.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The clear Halfords or a Decathlon ones are best for gloom and night riding. Yellow lenses turn me into a coward. £4.99 or less.

Oakley for proper sunny rides.

MrPorridge

Sorry to blunder in like Colonel Blink (the short sighted gink) but, speaking of specs, what do those with prescription lenses recommend?

I'm currently using an old pair of my regular specs which are ok but I do get a bit of a blind spot (blurred spot actually) looking back over my shoulder to check traffic etc. I'm a relatively mild, short-sighted prescription.

Are the "insert" type specs worth trying and, if so, what's the deal with the lenses? Are they a standard fit that can be bought at an opticians or do you need prescription inserts specific to the brand of eyewear you're buying?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Sorry to blunder in like Colonel Blink (the short sighted gink) but, speaking of specs, what do those with prescription lenses recommend?

I'm currently using an old pair of my regular specs which are ok but I do get a bit of a blind spot (blurred spot actually) looking back over my shoulder to check traffic etc. I'm a relatively mild, short-sighted prescription.

Are the "insert" type specs worth trying and, if so, what's the deal with the lenses? Are they a standard fit that can be bought at an opticians or do you need prescription inserts specific to the brand of eyewear you're buying?

Contacts for my mild prescription. Can’t get on with specs for work or cycling.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

I've got wrap round prescription lenses from Boots and they work well for me.

But I had the insert type previously and I think they were better. The inserts can be reglazed if your script changes, if the cack-handed assistant in Specsavers doesn't break them and then say they were already broken...

MrPorridge

Thank you for the advice @Heltor Chasca and @NorthernDave

I have thought about contacts in the past but, and this is a sad admission, I've never been keen on poking around with stuff in my eyes. In many ways making the leap could be quite liberating but I'm not sure I can do it. Maybe worth reconsidering though. I recently tried riding clipped-in after years of worrying about that and loved it! Maybe it's a similar thing.

I'm still looking at the "insert" type and I hope your experience with Specsavers was down to a bad incident, rather than a general attitude. I've always found them to be OK for my normal specs. I just need to try out some frames that take inserts. I'm a bit worried that someone said their eyelashes touched the lenses - that would drive me insane.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I used an older version of these for a couple years and they were brilliant. I accidentally stood on them after falling off the bike :angry:
The prescription lenses were done by Rapid themselves and were the clearest lenses I've used in 30+ years.
Total cost at the time was a shade under £100 and soon as I can afford them, I'll be making a new order.

Last edited:
Top Bottom