Global effing warming...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Felt more like March than May out today, perfect weather to be sat in a conservatory. But it's bound to be hot and sunny by next week as that's when the conservatory we're having built is due to be finished and the law of sod means it'll be too bleeding hot to sit in it!

Norm

potsy said:
Birmingham north!!!! get a grip norm:biggrin:
Too easy, potsy, you took that bait way too easy. :angry: :blush:

rich p said:
...I can see why they changed the name to Climate Change!

I don't think I've ever lit the fire in May before:angry:

I had three layers on today on my ride and another one in the caff, al fresco.

Brrrrr:cold:

It's that volcano. Anyone else remember when Pinatubo erupted in the early 1990s? We had a lovely summer right up until a few days after it went bang, then it all went dull and overcast for the rest of the year. We're in a sort of mini nuclear winter now; you can't put that much ash into the atmosphere without affecting the climate.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Rhythm Thief said:
It's that volcano. Anyone else remember when Pinatubo erupted in the early 1990s? We had a lovely summer right up until a few days after it went bang, then it all went dull and overcast for the rest of the year. We're in a sort of mini nuclear winter now; you can't put that much ash into the atmosphere without affecting the climate.

Hang about! It wasn't exactly a mild winter/spring before Iceland blew its top, and anyway, it is feeble little volcono in the scheme of things, isn't it?

{shoots from hip, and exits towards the bunker.. }:angry:

slowmotion said:
Hang about! It wasn't exactly a mild winter/spring before Iceland blew its top, and anyway, it is feeble little volcono in the scheme of things, isn't it?

{shoots from hip, and exits towards the bunker.. }:biggrin:

:biggrin:

It was lovely in these parts. We had some really nice warm days and it looked to be shaping up to be a lovely summer. Maybe I'm putting two and two together and getting five, but it seems to make sense to me. And there is a precedent.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Rhythm Thief said:
:biggrin:

It was lovely in these parts. We had some really nice warm days and it looked to be shaping up to be a lovely summer. Maybe I'm putting two and two together and getting five, but it seems to make sense to me. And there is a precedent.

Unless your denial is peer-reviewed, I shall dismiss it as the obvious babblings of a feeble idiot.:biggrin:

al78

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:

The Iceland volcano is nowhere near on the same scale as Pinatubo. To affect the climate a volcano needs to inject sulphates into the stratosphere and this volcano is not powerful enough for this. The ash is all in the troposphere where it will quickly get rained out.

If neighbouring Katla goes up however, that may be different. That one has about 10x the power of Eyjafjallajökull.

The current cool weather is due to a persistent blocked weather pattern over the Atlantic which has unfortunately left the UK on the eastern (cold) side of a blocking high. As soon as this blocked pattern breaks down and the prevailing westerlies return temperatures will recover.

al78 said:
The Iceland volcano is nowhere near on the same scale as Pinatubo. To affect the climate a volcano needs to inject sulphates into the stratosphere and this volcano is not powerful enough for this. The ash is all in the troposphere where it will quickly get rained out.

If neighbouring Katla goes up however, that may be different. That one has about 10x the power of Eyjafjallajökull.

The current cool weather is due to a persistent blocked weather pattern over the Atlantic which has unfortunately left the UK on the eastern (cold) side of a blocking high. As soon as this blocked pattern breaks down and the prevailing westerlies return temperatures will recover.

OK, fair enough. It was just a thought.

Crankarm

Guru
al78 said:

Which pretty much all the ignorant media have failed to report preferring in preference to pin the blame for the UK and mainland Europe experiencing volcanic ash and grounding flights on Iceland. Had we had the usual westerlies rolling in from the Atlantic we wouldn't have seen a single spec of dust as the ash would have remained in the far northern hemisphere. Lets hope by the end of this week we see the back of this current weather pattern. I'm sick of being frozen :biggrin:.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Crankarm, you are not actually cold. You are just experiencing a minor "blip". The computer model assures me that you will soon be toast very shortly.

Top Bottom