Glue on rim's braking surface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sebinho

Hello, I mounted tubular tyres for the first time recently, and got some glue on the braking surface of the rims. Makes an unbearable noise when braking. I know people use acetone to remove glue, but I don't think that's a good idea when the tyres are mounted, might denature the tyre in the process. Any tips? Or is it just elbow grease with a wooden spatula?
Thanks

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hello, I mounted tubular tyres for the first time recently, and got some glue on the braking surface of the rims. Makes an unbearable noise when braking. I know people use acetone to remove glue, but I don't think that's a good idea when the tyres are mounted, might denature the tyre in the process. Any tips? Or is it just elbow grease with a wooden spatula?
Thanks

Try Barkeepers Friend (Amazon link). I haven’t used it for this specifically but it’s very versatile and powerful, without risking damage to your rim or tyre.

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

Try Barkeepers Friend (Amazon link). I haven’t used it for this specifically but it’s very versatile and powerful, without risking damage to your rim or tyre.
Thanks. It's available here but super expensive and importing is also complicated. I wonder if something like Silvo would work. That's cheap.

Edit: The rims are 80s Campagnolo alloy.

Dadam

Acetone on a clean rag sparingly and be careful?
Wipe it off quick if you get on the tyre, although it will evaporate quickly anyway. Use masking tape if you're that concerned.

Thanks

You are overthinking this. Acetone on a bit of cloth will do the trick. If you managed to colour-in between the lines when you were at kindergarten, then you can wipe glue off the rim. Besides, acetone will not "denature" a tyre.

presta

Guru
people use acetone to remove glue, but I don't think that's a good idea when the tyres are mounted
Just take the tyres off, it'll be quicker and easier than a load of elbow grease. Whatever you do, don't use any cleaning fluids that leave a residue, like Flash, or polish, or white spirit. I cleaned my rims with white spirit once, and it left an oily residue which made the brakes quite exciting for a while, until it all wore off the pads.
"Cleans, restores and polishes"

Polishes as in leaving a waxy coating?

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Acetone won’t damage a tyre unless you’re planning to use a vat of the stuff. As for Bar keeper’s friend , Flash, Brasso or any other metal polish, you may as well take your wheels down to a beach, grab a mitt full of sand, and rub that round the rim. They are all too coarse for Al. and won’t make good job of removing adhesive anyway

Top Bottom