Glueing soles on cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
"shoe goo" will stick soles on and can be used to build up a street worn heel see the article on Wikipedia also look on ewechewb to see it in use

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
How does it keep once opened?
It doesn't. 595 comes in small expensive tubes. With full-size mastic (the sort that work with a frame gun), I leave the cut nozzle on, put a large round head nail down it
after use, then wrap in cling film. Seems to work for a year or so, though you'll have to pick out the solid plug before you use it again.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
You have to try. If they die, they won't be able to get into Shoe Heaven without a sole!

I had this problem the other week. My old shoes had one sole hanging off around the front to the point that the unused SPD plate fell out.
Mainly because it was all I had, and partly because I thought the very rigid road shoe soles don't bend, I tried 30 minute two part epoxy. I use this stuff to glue handle scales to knives so I know it works.
I weighted it down for an hour and tried the shoes the next day on the rollers. No issues.
Now two weeks later, they are still fine. The soles/glue interface is still perfect.
Like I said, normally with everyday shoes, I know epoxy wouldn't work as it can't flex. With rigid shoes you tend not to walk around in, so far for me, it has been successful.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Another "flexible" adhesive option is "Stormsure" which was recommended to me by Alpkit to repair one of their cheapo rucksacs which had had 10years or so of use & abuse (and only had a three years warranty - tsk, tsk)
Since the repair I've had it loaded with as much as 16kgs of shopping which is way more than is comfortable for a frameless 35 litre pack !
I've also used it on several shoe repairs (admittedly only once on cycling shoes)
Several vendors on Amazon offer a 3 x 5g pack as it doesn't keep that well once opened.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Reporting back

(takes me some time to get round to stuff).

I used this and so far after a few rides seems to have worked.

Got it from Lidl.

Had the usual list of plastic types it supposedly isn't advised for, but I'm not an expert on plastic types.

I think it helped that the two bits of the sole I was glueing, either side at the back, are actually the outer edge, sort of the frame of the sole, where flexing is more limited.

Thanks for your help folks.

Top Bottom