Glueless patches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That looks just like what I have and they work perfectly with my surplus glue.

presta

Guru
Something wrong here. Either your tubes of glue are woefully meagre or you are using far, far, far too much glue?
Yup, I never get much more than 10-20% through a tube of solution before it goes off.
A bit off topic but I use Weldtite patch strips. You have to cut the patch to the size you want though. I solved this problem with some sewing thread cutters kept in the puncture repair kit.
I use the stuff that comes in a sheet about 6"x4". I keep a few patches already cut to size, but it tears easily and neatly between your fingers.
I have always found that the glue seems to 'disappear' from the little tubes in the kits after a while
I think it's because the solvent evaporates once the seal's broken. It gets progressively thicker and gooier.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

!!!!

Something wrong here. Either your tubes of glue are woefully meagre or you are using far, far, far too much glue?

You only need a smear of glue to put a film on the innertube which is then allowed to dry before placing the patch. Please describe your puncture repair technique because you might be doing something wrong?
When I squeeze a new tube of glue, it's half empty, and not just with one tube of glue. The remainder will do about two patches. I don't dollop it on, just squeeze a very small amount and spread it to an area just slightly bigger than the patch. I've glued patches since I was a young teen and never had this problem with insufficient glue. There's about eight patches in the box and enough glue for two of them, which is why I ordered the five tubes. Maybe it's the American patch kits that have the problem. I've bought patch kits from a bike shop, and some from Park Tool, and both had the same problem. I've patched tubes for a long time so I believe I'm competent. The kits I used to buy in the U.K. were long tins that also contained a stick of French chalk and a metal grater to grind some to dust the patch. Here, they don't have those parts.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

No!!! Buy in bulk and get cheaper.
I bought three big tubes of glue for the price of one small one from a well known high street retailer.
The bike shops, here, don't have large tubes or bulk. I need to be able to carry a kit in the tool bag, so bulk in a can won't work. And I so seldom need to patch a tube that bulk would probably dry up. If the glueless patches work well, then that's probably the way I need to go.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Yup, I never get much more than 10-20% through a tube of solution before it goes off.
I think it's because the solvent evaporates once the seal's broken. It gets progressively thicker and gooier.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I thought about the tubes being only partially filled, but if the rest was air, surely it would dry up the glue. Whatever the cause, it's a nuisance. I repaired a tube on a trike for a lady, and found the tube didn't have enough in it for one patch. I opened a tube from the kit in my other bike and found I had to squeeze most of it before the glue started to come out.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Yes, they are very reliable. If used correctly.
You need to prepare the tube for repair as you would normally with glue ie rub down and clean the area to be patched. Once patch has been placed, squeeze the patch and tube with your fingers with a good amount of pressure for a good 30 seconds or so.
Do the job correctly and the patch will last.
I have 3 patches on one of my current innertubes one of which is a few years old now and shows no signs of failing.
That's what I needed to hear.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Another recommendation for Park Tools glueless patches. Never had a problem with them. Used TWO the other day, first punctures for ages. One from a large thorn in a Schwalbe Marathon (doesn't happen often) and a snakebite from catching the tube while removing the tyre. Put that down to lack of practice due to lack of punctures for a long time.
Good to know! A few years ago I bought a new Specialized fat bike with knobbly tires. As a large truck was coming up behind me, with cars coming the other way, I rode onto the wide grass verge to let him by. The next morning both tires were flat. Fourteen punctures from sand burrs! That called for new tubes. They are so tiny I can't see them hidden in the grass, and their points are extremely tiny but big enough to pierce the tire between the knobs where it's only about 1mm thick. I seldom ride in the grass but just in case I put regular road tires on the bike, and they can handle sand burrs. I managed to pick up a screw in the back tire, about four miles from home. And being it was a very hot day, I called the wife to come and pick me up. Inflating a 4" tire with a hand pump would have taken me at least an hour. Thankfully, punctures are rare but I also ride a cruiser bike.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

!!!!

Here is a tube of Park glue. It's 50mm long. It was new when I repaired a flat on a woman's trike, and glued one patch, using it sparingly and just slightly bigger than the patch. As you can see, there isn't much left in it, and I wonder if it will be reliable next time I get a flat miles from home.

Attachments

• DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 5

Chris S

Legendary Member
Glueless patches are OK so long as you don't have to stick them over a seam. If you do then you get a slow leak, even if you try to flatten the seam first.

Top Bottom