Gluten Free Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gottogetfit

I'm doing the Coast & Castles south in September but I've recently found out I have to follow a gluten free diet. Is there anyone out there who is also gluten free that may have done the route and found some good places to eat?:hungry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope not done it, but my wife is more or less gluten free. Just avoid pies, pasta etc. Are you Celiac ? My wife isn't, but just intollerant of it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pizza hut do gluten free pizza bases. You just need to avoid pasta and bread and pies, so most places will have options. You will sometimes get places that offer gluten free pasta. Our local Italian will do gluten free on request.

Stephen C

Über Member
Many chains are coming round to providing gluten free options, some more reliable than others. My partner has Coeliacs, so is very sensitive and can be caught out by cross contamination from gluten free food being prepared in the same space as "normal" food. As well as the places mentioned above, Bella Italia and Whetherpoons can both provide gluten free, although we have had contamination issues with Whetherspoons. McDonald's chips are also gluten free if you need a quick pick me up.

Most supermarkets have free from sections which stock basics like bread, pasta and flour alternatives, as well as cereal bar type things (Nakd bars are good for cycling snacks), just be careful as some things claim to be gluten free, but actually contain oats which have their own form of gluten that can cause some people problems (these products generally have warnings about not being suitable for Coeliacs).

The other good thing to do it just a general internet search for pubs and cafes in places you are likely to stop, they are becoming more common. All food businesses should also be able to provide with a list of all allergens within their products, so just ask and they should be able to find something for you to eat.

sabian92

Über Member
Pizza hut do gluten free pizza bases. You just need to avoid pasta and bread and pies, so most places will have options. You will sometimes get places that offer gluten free pasta. Our local Italian will do gluten free on request.

As do Domino's - I work for them so I thought i'd throw it out there!

A lot of our stuff is gluten free, and we're always happy to discuss with customers. We don't want you getting ill as much as you don't want to be ill!

Spartak