gluteus max·i·mus , PITA !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Two weeks ago I was sat at the bar in my local , trying to watch football , two blokes also sat there were comparing wounds and scars from their recent hip replacement op's ,
The next day I began witha dull ache in the general area of my left hip ,
I couldnt beleive it ! I never knew hip arthritis was contageous !! , ;)
Any way for the last two weeks it stayed a dull ache during the day time, and as a building op Im very active , but at night the pain over the time became excruciating,
Last night was unbearable , I was awake most of the night The problem was not the hip joint but the muscles around there ,
so today , I went
for a steam and sauna ,spent about 20 mins in each ,
I have not a clue why , but at 8:45 pm tonight there is no pain what so ever ? as if there had been no pain at all ,
Amazing !

Attachments

• 090716180110.jpg
    090716180110.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 090716180110.jpg
    090716180110.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 34

vickster

Legendary Member
Foam roller and targeted stretching

Try a heatpack before and after the above

Last edited:
Bugger !! Its 4-50 am , dull pain just woke me up ,
Bugger ,

Five weeks ago, I pulled a muscle in my left buttock (after sitting cross-legged for over an hour on the floor playing Lego with my misses' niece) and was in agony a couple of days after, which then led to being an absolutely excruciating pain.

After suicidal thoughts and a LOT of
painkillers and anti-inflammatories, I was taken to the emergency hospital in the city and was given morphine, prescriptions and told to stay in bed (which I did for five more days).

The diagnosis was Piriformis Syndrome: http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-piriformis-syndrome

I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Does the above-mentioned pain and symptoms sound like what you had/have?

Five weeks ago, I pulled a muscle in my left buttock (after sitting cross-legged for over an hour on the floor playing Lego with my misses' niece) and was in agony a couple of days after, which then led to being an absolutely excruciating pain.

painkillers and anti-inflammatories, I was taken to the emergency hospital in the city and was given morphine, prescriptions and told to stay in bed (which I did for five more days).

The diagnosis was Piriformis Syndrome: http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-piriformis-syndrome

I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Does the above-mentioned pain and symptoms sound like what you had/have?
For piriformic syndrome, acupuncture, just one session, worked for me quite miraculously. I've no idea precisely where she stuck the needle but it was deffo in my backside and it was about 8" long.

To be fair, the whole experience was very enjoyable, I fell asleep and woke up starving.

As a result I was sold on acupuncture and tried it for other things that I had since but it did not work at all.

PK99

Legendary Member
If the pain is on the outside of the hip it is unlikely to be arthritis - that apparently manifests more as pain in the groin.

More likely to be a muscular problem. some years ago I had excruciating hip pain and a physical therapist friend diagnosed muscular spasms. We identified the likely cause as a day spent in the rowing club bar, twisting and spinning between bar and till. A couple of sessions of manipulation solved the problem permenantly.

The fact that relaxation in sauna and steam room relieved the pain supports my cod diagnosis. I'm not a doctor. Go see a sports physio.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru

Very similar , and yes , the pain is proper pain , not been able to id the prob yet , but muscle loss and inactivity is defiantly parr of the problem , so I am rebuilding muscles from bum down to toes ,
Max medius , hamstrings ,calves and the long one on the shin ,
Luckily I have people in the know that can help , did try accu , bit it wasnt very successfull , but night time can be the worst , scuicidal thoughtfs , most definatley !!

vickster

Legendary Member
Spend £50 or so to see a sports physio

There's a place in Teddington which is very good (according to an extremely knowledgeable friend of mine).

Very similar , and yes , the pain is proper pain , not been able to id the prob yet , but muscle loss and inactivity is defiantly parr of the problem , so I am rebuilding muscles from bum down to toes ,
Max medius , hamstrings ,calves and the long one on the shin ,
Luckily I have people in the know that can help , did try accu , bit it wasnt very successfull , but night time can be the worst , scuicidal thoughtfs , most definatley !!

I'm seeing a sports chiropractor tomorrow.

I also have quite considerable muscle loss in my left leg from thigh to shin, and numbness in my big toe and the one next to it. And I can't turn my toes up, as the 'long one in the shin' doesn't want to work.

I'll report back after my sesh.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I'm seeing a sports chiropractor tomorrow.

I also have quite considerable muscle loss in my left leg from thigh to shin, and numbness in my big toe and the one next to it. And I can't turn my toes up, as the 'long one in the shin' doesn't want to work.

I'll report back after my sesh.
That is uncannily similar , , yep , let me know ,
Is there a reason for the muscle loss ?
Mine came out the blue ,

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
Heat obviously reduces the tension causing you to relax so a hot bath before bedtime will help, you can also try a pillow between your knees in bed. If you work in construction the opportunities for this syndrome are manifold and cycling is not the remedy so you need to stretch that muscle and all the muscles connected with the hip joint. The piriformis muscle helps to move the leg inwards across the body and the sciatic nerve passes near or through it so if you damage this muscle and it swells this impinges the nerve and you will feel the pain all down that side.

Top Bottom