GMP Op Considerate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
I've submitted a few incidents/footage to GMP's op considerate portal over the past year captured on bike camera. In fairness they've all had a ticket or NIP of sorts (although they don't go into any further detail about the specific offence sought nor do you seem to get an outcome.. this seems to differ between forces though?)

I had an interesting one a few days ago, a bus driver pulled up alongside me at some lights and opened his doors. He said he recognised me and that he would be contesting his ticket. I then remembered I submitted footage of him driving a car like a complete sociopath through a busy built up area during school kicking out time. And it turns out he drives buses!!
I don't know what the offence was but presuming all this is dealt with as "low level" stuff, what would happen if he contests it? And could he contest it?

Anyway it got me wondering, does anyone know what material "offenders" receive as the result of an Op Considerate submission? How do they receive it? I'm guessing there's some electronic element as I can't imagine GMP disclosing evidence to these people in the post.
Also, could they not just turn round and say they never received a ticket? :huh: AIUI they have to be told within 14 days..

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
He can refuse to accept an FPN and opt for court instead. You might be getting an expenses paid day out soon, eh?

The old "I never received the ticket" routine does not work. Its accepted in law that the driver has a responsibility to keep their licence address current and the court won't accept any guff on that score.

I can't speak for GMP, but we used to provid footage of that nature to solicitors, but not the defendent prior to court if they were representing themselves. After all, they were there and know exactly what they did...

I don't know who's decision that was or the rationale, but that's how it was played. Dascams were still fairly novel by the time I retired so we didn't get many. I don't know how GMP will play that side of things, and procedures may well have changed in the 6 years I've been gone.

If the offence is clear cut the Court is liable to take a dim view of their time being wasted - unless he has some spectacular mitigation - so are liable to spank him fairly hard. After all, the FPN was his chance to put his hands up and accept a minor punishment, so the alternative is not going to be at the lower end of the scale.

Also keep a diary and note the exact date and time he confronted you and what he said - if you have that on camera then so much the better. If he genuinely has opted for court he's treading a fine line towards witness intimidation and I'm sure the Court would love to see extra footage of him gobbing off at the key witness.

Also notify the bus company that their driver stopped and confronted you because you reported a driving offence. They'll probably not be very happy about that, and bus drivers are two a penny.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
He can refuse to accept an FPN and opt for court instead. You might be getting an expenses paid day out soon, eh?

The old "I never received the ticket" routine does not work. Its accepted in law that the driver has a responsibility to keep their licence address current and the court won't accept any guff on that score.

I can't speak for GMP, but we used to provid footage of that nature to solicitors, but not the defendent prior to court if they were representing themselves. After all, they were there and know exactly what they did...

I don't know who's decision that was or the rationale, but that's how it was played. Dascams were still fairly novel by the time I retired so we didn't get many. I don't know how GMP will play that side of things, and procedures may well have changed in the 6 years I've been gone.

If the offence is clear cut the Court is liable to take a dim view of their time being wasted - unless he has some spectacular mitigation - so are liable to spank him fairly hard. After all, the FPN was his chance to put his hands up and accept a minor punishment, so the alternative is not going to be at the lower end of the scale.

Also keep a diary and note the exact date and time he confronted you and what he said - if you have that on camera then so much the better. If he genuinely has opted for court he's treading a fine line towards witness intimidation and I'm sure the Court would love to see extra footage of him gobbing off at the key witness.
There'll be more than one covering the driver, and the doors. I'd be trying to get hold of the footage from them.

OP
OP
Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow

Über Member

Also notify the bus company that their driver stopped and confronted you because you reported a driving offence. They'll probably not be very happy about that, and bus drivers are two a penny.

Thanks, I'm wondering with the sheer number of these reports GMP must get they will somehow be dealing with them in a very transactional/bulk way. The fact he said he remembers me suggests he's seen something, perhaps a still from a video obviously taken on a bicycle.

I'm not too bothered about the confrontation. It was surreally amicable on his part and i didn't feel threatened. Although he was probably too aware of the bus cameras.
I figured he must have been driving home when I caught him as the bus depot is just round the corner..

Last edited:
AIUI bus drivers are in demand, a shortage certainly in some areas. However complaining to bus companies can sometimes gain a level of a win.

I complained via email when I passed a stationary bus taking on passengers only for it to overtake me then immediately pull in to the next stop a very short distance down the road causing me to stop so quickly I nearly went over my bars! My rear wheel actually lifted before dropping back down.

I got a very quick email from a manager in a regional office for the company telling me the depot supervisor had been informed and the driver was tracked from the route number and time. The supervisor will be speaking to the driver. Within another week the supervisor emailed me to tell me the driver had been instructed in the standard of driving expected especially around vulnerable road users.

The best bit of all that was I saw that same bus route at the same time for many months after that. Every time he sat some way back behind me. Seriously, the same driver and he had changed his driving style being more cautious around cyclists. I was actually impressed by the company's attitude, actions and results!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks, I'm wondering with the sheer number of these reports GMP must get they will somehow be dealing with them in a very transactional/bulk way. The fact he said he remembers me suggests he's seen something, perhaps a still from a video obviously taken on a bicycle.

I'm not too bothered about the confrontation. It was surreally amicable on his part and i didn't feel threatened. Although he was probably too aware of the bus cameras.
I figured he must have been driving home when I caught him as the bus depot is just round the corner..

If it does go to court it could be a candidate for the SJP - Single Justice Procedure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s is known as,As well as company prosecutions.

Top Bottom