Go faster tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I decided to take my MTB out this afternoon and decided that the thing was just way to hard to pedal with the big fat tractor style tyres on so I decided to fit an old set of 50/50ish road/trail tyres that I took from a recycled bicycle in the past. I'm hoping to get some more use from the thing this way as most of my riding lately is on road and should be o.k in these dry conditions should I choose to go off road. There a nice colour as you can see ( not my fault I didn't buy them :rolleyes: )but at least the thing rolls better and doesn't sound like a Land rover when on the road.

Do you like them ?
P7110007.jpg

Cyclist33

VERY strange bike it looks now, I wonder what it's like riding a full suss bike with semi slick tires. 2 steps forward, 2 steps back?

Just a thought - I recently switched from semi slicks on my hardtail mtb to a fat knobbly on the front an a semi slick at the back. Still rolls pretty well and you get half the buzzy sound from the knobbly tires which is actually quite nice and less annoying. Also gives you more off road clout if you do veer off the road..

Stu

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Rides much nicer Stu on hard pack mud (as it all seems to be at the moment) and no need to slow right down/swerve on the roads for the pot holes/road damage I'm forced to navigate though on my commute. Not as fast rolling or as light as my Hybrid but a little more useful for direct line local travel incorporating off road tracks. For the winter I'm not sure whether to use the hybrid with these tyres and put the mud plugging tyres back on the MTB or just use the MTB!

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
I have to say myself Im not keen on the colour at all, each to their own...

Neither am I but I some how seem to end up every year with a collection of tyres from recycled bicycles that are of no use ( they all end up on freecycle) These are the only ones I have ever come across ( recycled ones any way) that seem to be very good both on and off road and also seem to last forever. The colour is pretty naff the only good point is they make the bike a bit more noticeable in there horribleness, in a hi-viz sort of way !

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Neither am I but I some how seem to end up every year with a collection of tyres from recycled bicycles that are of no use ( they all end up on freecycle) These are the only ones I have ever come across ( recycled ones any way) that seem to be very good both on and off road and also seem to last forever. The colour is pretty naff the only good point is they make the bike a bit more noticeable in there horribleness, in a hi-viz sort of way !

Ive a very nice collection of used MTB tyres, I never seems to be able to throw them away!
laugh.gif

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i keep getting tempted to put slicks back on my mtb (scott genius ltd) as the roads have deteriorated so bad since winter. my little brompton wheels are really really harsh. i'm just just scared of locking such an expensive bike up at uni and on placements. security is the reason i bought a folder in the first place, but like you said the roads are tedious. i also saw a program the other day about potholes, there were some horrific injuries, made realize that a fs mtb is way safer than picking yoour way around them.

Top Bottom