Go home, David!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Saw that early. Stupidity at its best.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Talking about Darwin Awards and the usual suspects a fearless footballer avoided being crushed by a half ton pylon while out in his Range Rover (what else?) In 70mph gales.
A source told The Sun: “The wind was so powerful it suddenly ripped up the pylon. It was really terrifying. It’s a miracle nobody was hurt. Someone could have easily been killed. What are the chances of that happening?
Er, in a (forecast and forewarned about) storm with very powerful winds which had already been ripping up things and killing people... A pretty damn high chance, actually!!

I grew up on the Wirral (note - ON - the correct term)
Across the top of the peninsular - and only a mile from where I lived - is a big concrete embankment sloping down to the beach

In bad weather the sea can smash right over the top and all access roads are closed off

but STILL people feel it MUST be ok to go round the barriers and climb up to the top to watch

which means
a) a Police officer has to be posted there to try to stop them - in the pouring rain and gale force winds even thought they will just go across the grass anyway
b) when - not if - one gets washed out then the lifeboat crew have to go out in the storm to try to rescue them

the number of "nutters in a storm" I saw from the main road is amazing

presta

Guru
Talking about Darwin Awards and the usual suspects a fearless footballer avoided being crushed by a half ton pylon while out in his Range Rover (what else?) In 70mph gales.

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/H...-40ft-pylon-falls-down-in-70mph-winds/3202886

I drove home through the middle of the October 1987 storm. Apart from thinking it was a bit windy and being a bit bemused by the carpet of leaves covering the road, I didn't really twig what was going on until it all appeared in the media the following day. I parked at the front and went in the front door, so I didn't see the tree blown down in the back garden.

Famously, there was no forecast or warning on that occasion though.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But there were plenty of warnings on Babet. Maybe because his rangie is rated to 18" of water for wading he thought he'd be okay, but obviously didn't think the wind could possibly do anything else. :huh:

Jameshow

Veteran
I drove home through the middle of the October 1987 storm. Apart from thinking it was a bit windy and being a bit bemused by the carpet of leaves covering the road, I didn't really twig what was going on until it all appeared in the media the following day. I parked at the front and went in the front door, so I didn't see the tree blown down in the back garden.

Famously, there was no forecast or warning on that occasion though.

That's nothing I was camping at camper sands with my parents during that storm. I was the last camping trip we ever did. ....most tents became kites esp frame tents.

Top Bottom