GO PRO/Action Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

Go pro's are quite expensive, but i am wondering about getting a Action Camera, as they are much cheaper but what's the difference between Go Pro and Action Camera. Would anyone reccomend Action Camera/

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I've asked similar in the past on here or possibly another forum I`m on, view seems to be you always pay for what you get and some of these chinese action cams are ok, do a job etc however they are certainly not the latest Go Pro replacements . Still undecided whether I need or want one still. Might get by with a gimble to mount my iPhone on :whistle:

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

I've asked similar in the past on here or possibly another forum I`m on, view seems to be you always pay for what you get and some of these chinese action cams are ok, do a job etc however they are certainly not the latest Go Pro replacements . Still undecided whether I need or want one still. Might get by with a gimble to mount my iPhone on :whistle:
Yeah okay....What woud the cheapest go pro be?
Sorry but what is a Gimble. I hear Sam Pilgrim say it alot in his videos.

Sam Pilgrim is saying ‘gimball’. It’s a lockable ball and socket joint in the mounting bracket that enables you to set the camera at any angle.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have been looking into getting an action camera for a long while. I would love to get GoPro clarity with a cheaper camera. But with all the hours of research that I have done. I know it is going to have to be a GoPro8. GoPro have the market really sewn up with this camera. Its also a good stills camera.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've a cheaper action camera. It's ok for capturing clips for social media or reporting driving crimes. It suffers compared with go pro in low light conditions and the included mount was too rigid and transmitted all vibrations to the camera, defeating stabilisation. A cheap handlebar gimbal fixed that, thanks to the rubber in the ball clamp. The top feature is that I've dropped it at least twice (once from the bike after not tightening a clamp, once from my hand) and not worried about losing a hundred quid or more of camera.

Mike_P

Guru
Aldi are advertising a 4k camera for 49.99 but oddly for Aldi only a 1 year guarantee. The clear case fastening clip has partly broken on my Lidl 4k camera so enquired under warranty re a replacement part and been told that they do not have any so will sent the complete unit!

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If youre looking for an action camera - pay closely to the advertised chipsets (and optical sensor to a lesser extent...) A lot of cheap action cameras love to be advertised as 4k but really arent because the chipset doesnt support it natively. only 1080p upscaled to 4k resolution.

Yi action cameras off amazon used to be all the rage - very good performers and value for money back in the day but prices have just about doubled due to covid-19 and are in very very limited supply.

I follow this guy on youtube that reviews a lot of action cameras so that might be good as point of reference.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My Go Pro budget got spent on mahoosive mechanics tool chest. I like to collect tools :rolleyes: . Also wanted to lock my stuff away from the magpies that live with me :laugh:

Mike_P

Guru
Aldi are advertising a 4k camera for 49.99 but oddly for Aldi only a 1 year guarantee. The clear case fastening clip has partly broken on my Lidl 4k camera so enquired under warranty re a replacement part and been told that they do not have any so will sent the complete unit!
And indeed it is the whole thing they have sent, I was thinking it might just be the waterproof case, so I now have 2 Lidl 4k cameras, 2 waterproof cases for them (one with a slightly dodgy holding clip) and four batteries (having bought two spare ones with a charging block separately)^_^

Top Bottom