God Speed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Right, for the first time in ages I have dug out their album: 'lift your skinny fists like antenna to heaven', and had forgotten just how incredible the album is. Guitars coming up tocrescendo, the two drummers bashing away and the horns/strings just lifting it up. Then just when you had got used to it - blam! Out comes a sample and the track shifts into something completely different. Incredible for a quiet monday night with a Greene King and some theology work/a Philip Roth book.
I love the feeling of putting an old, familiar album on and feeling at home again.

Is that God Speed you black emperor?
Keep meaning to get some stuff of theirs as it's one of my mates favourite bands....

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Yup, that's the badger. There were rumours that they were going to reunite for a while (they split up and half of them became the not nearly as good: Silver Mt. Zion), but alas, it seems that they're not going to, at least for a while.
Well, if you want the best one, then get this album (what's more - it's a double album, so you get two for the price of one). They beat Mogwai for the Post-Rock crown hands down.

bobbyp

Well worth getting. A great album and works perfectly on the soundtrack of 28 days later. builds slowly as the bloke wakes up in hospital and reaches a crescendo as he discovers what's happens. Fabulous.

longers

Legendary Member
I've been enjoying this since it arrived. Ta for the recommendation Sam. ;)
Please don't suggest anything else for a while or I will have to spend more money that I haven't got.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Glad you're enjoying it. I think that I'd put it in one of my top 10 albums, up there with Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and John Coltrane's Giant Steps. I'm a great fan of the post-rock, although it's got a bit stale of late and I have diversified into the mindbogglingly complicated Math Rock instead (similar thing, more time signatures).
It is in my opinion, almost otherwordly: it comes at you with a times real fragility and other times so much intensity. Meanwhile, it makes political points without having any lyrics as such, except the samples. The sample at the beginning of disc 2, about Coney Island, is just the perfect beginning to any cd ever.

Top Bottom