Going back to a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

smoiu

Both of those are out of my price range unfortunately. I'll check out the 2009 Dr Dew, 2010 Dew Deluxe and the Crosstrail and just go for whichever one I prefer i think.

Cheers for the advice on the other things, I'll definitely not be skimping on the lock and will look into everything else as well!

CRC looks like a great site for lights, glad i didn't get the set from evans i was originally looking at.

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

I've a fan of the Kona Dew range - I tried the Crosstrail Sport and the Kona Dew Plus and preferred the latter, but it's always a personal thing. Weight wise, I certainly didn't notice too much of a penalty with the Crosstrail with it's forks locked out compared to the Kona - but then, the Dew's (certainly the non-hydroformed Dew and Dew Plus) are not that lightweight compared to some hybrids. Of those at Evans, the 2009 Dr Dew looks best as it's the same price as the 2010 Deluxe. The only thing with the 2009 Kona Disc frames compared to the changes for the 2010 models is that the disc callipers can get in the way of racks and mudguard mounts. If you want a rack, you'll need a disc-specific rack like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=32816 (note the spacers at the bottom of the supports) and you'll need to fettle the mudguard mounts (done it with SKS commuters and it's very easy).

OP
OP
S

smoiu

I went for the 2009 Dr Dew in the end as i really liked it and the crosstrail was out of stock. I really feel the bumps down the footpath but it's nothing terrible and it absolutely flies on the concrete so £600 well spent in that regards; however by the time i'd got home (only 3 miles) the seat felt like some medievil torture device - do you reckon its just that i'm not used to riding, or could the seat do with an upgrade?

Cheers for all the past advice guys, it led to a nice purchase :biggrin:

Norm

Nice. :biggrin:

I would give the seat a try first. You may want to upgrade after a while anyway, but just get used to riding again, it shouldn't take your bum bones too long to let you know whether they will ever be comfortable on that saddle.

OP
OP
S

smoiu

Yeah I read the sheldon brown article on saddles, reckon I'll stick with it and hope it gets better after a few ride. Was going to ride the 10 miles to my girlfriends tonight but sitting on it is rather painful today so think i'll leave my next ride till tomorrow and get a bus!

Jugular

What did you do with QR and locks?

If there's still room I would suggest having the Abus lock and a locking skewer for the front wheel, you should be able to lock the back wheel and frame to something which will keep them safe and the locking skewer can keep the front wheel safe. For further suecrity I'd add a rear rack, there's nothing better for security than making your bike look uncool. You then also have the added benefit of being able to unload your back.
The next benefit of it is it will save your bum on the saddle a bit more. Less weight will be going through it if you unload your back.

OP
OP
S

smoiu

I went for these two locks - cable and d-lock

The d-lock is insanely heavy but guess that's a good thing, and while i'm aware the cable can be cut pretty easily it's only going to be used to support the front wheel on top of the d-lock securing the frame and gives me the option of leaving the d-lock at home when i want to travel light and won't be planning to leave the bike anywhere, without being lockless in an emergency.

Top Bottom