Going canoeing tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to do quite a lot of canoeing to an average sort of standard (UK white water, sea trips, polo etc.) but haven't been for about 25 years. My daughter and son in law do a lot of paddling and I've arranaged to go out with them tomorrow, which means that;

I've got to get up in the loft and find my old kit.

When I eventually find it, presuming I don't fall through the ceiling it's going to be a bit more snug fitting than when I last wore it.

I've got to get up early.... on a Saturday!

I must not get cocky and choose a low volume white water boat, or I'll end up looking even more cack handed than I'm going to anyway.

There's quite a good chance I'll drown.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Spent the last two weekends learning how to sea kayak.

Wanna boat now :tongue: .

Sam

I fancy kayaking but I don't fancy the rolling bit, that scares me. Is it the same for sea kayaking, I fancy that more but it's even scarier.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I fancy kayaking but I don't fancy the rolling bit, that scares me. Is it the same for sea kayaking, I fancy that more but it's even scarier.
have a go at sit-on-top kayaking, fall off climb back on no roling needed
I started with SOT and now have a 17' sea kayak which I bought this year did my BCU star 1 course and will be doing my 2 star later this year
sit on top below

Attachments

• P13.jpg
    P13.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Take the plunge (sic) and have a taster session with a local club at the pool. Rolling is second nature once you get the 'knack'.

It's just like riding a bike. Haven't done it for 20+ years and couldn't have told anyone how to, but was a piece of cake, just shouldn't have chucked my paddles away!

have a go at sit-on-top kayaking, fall off climb back on no roling needed
I started with SOT and now have a 17' sea kayak which I bought this year did my BCU star 1 course and will be doing my 2 star later this year
sit on top below

I've done a wee bit, is it not wetter and colder though?

Stephenite

Membå
I went out on my kayak last Monday did the River Hamble from mouth to Botley and back, most of the time the water was like a mill pond

Went out once on the Hamble myself. About 20 years ago, when i lived in Horton Heath. We kayaked to a pub and got tipsy. Started back but thought the better of it. We (about six of us) jumped into a little dinghy and towed the kayaks back. Fun.

Top Bottom