Going car free...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I hardly think of myself as car-free, in that I've only owned a car for about 3 years, back when I still lived at home and was working - about 15 years ago. That was more a luxury than a necessity, and it fell apart around me gradually....

Of course, it helps living where I do. York is so compact, you're never more than about 20 minutes from the centre by bike, and it's nice and flat. I've been lucky enough not to end up with a job with a long commute, and I don't need to transport large items or children on a regular basis - if I did, I can borrow a trailer (or a Maximus!).

It's always nice to have access to a friend's car for the odd task, or jaunt, and I could always hire one if I needed it. Long trips on my own tend to be by train though.

I couldn't afford a car now if I wanted one, and don't have anywhere to park it! We had to hire a van this week for work, and I was driver, and someone asked if I'd be taking it home at the end of the day. I pointed out that where we were parking it, just round the corner from work, was about as close as I could get to my flat to park without a residents permit anyway!

Night Train

Maker of Things
I wish I could be car free. Can't do it yet as I still have odd long drives at short notice, often carrying stuff. I also have elderly parents to carry about and big trailers that are in regular use.
It is easier for me to switch to an electric car then go completely car free.

theloafer

Legendary Member
:angry:..as of tomorrow i to will be van free ..well sold it the other week but as of the 13/2/12 ihave to send back my license as they say i am not fit to drive (eyes fubarded) field of vision not up to the standard :cry:will miss it as i used it to transport me and the bikes away on w/end........still managed for 35 years before passing so should cope ok

PBancroft

I've considered going this route, and am slowly edging towards it. A couple of years ago my old VW Polo died, and for a few weeks I "made do" with the bike. But I was slowly convinced that I needed another car, and bought an oldish ('51 plate) Merc. After commuting through winter in it, I fell out of the habit of cycling... but truth be told its not all that much fun sat in traffic. You can't really do anything else, its a bit bloody boring, and expensive to boot (not just the car... parking!).

So over the past few months I've been catching the train and leaving cycling to leisure times. I'm finding I enjoy it all much more - I can catch up on reading on the train - its cheaper than driving, and I arrive at work about the same sort of time, and the rides I do are pure fun.

I can see needing to keep a car for certain tasks, such as the allotment which is just a little too far away for carrying spades etc., and for longer trips when trains don't offer a convenient route... and we would certainly need a car in the family for visiting relatives, none of whom live close to a station, and the missus wouldn't want to cycle beyond a country potter so she would need one for that, as well as for her work. But I must say that personally I'm finding cars less and less appealing (and I never really liked them all that much in the first place). They just don't seem to offer the freedom they promise.

Top Bottom