Going car free...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
... my hand has been forced. The fates have decreed it. The stars are aligned. The gods have smiled. After labouring for months with a leaking head gasket/cooling system my old Fiat Cinquecento blew a hose this morning at 08:40 in a cloud of steam and smoke. I suspect she was frozen. Managed to get it back to the edge of town and park up without seizing it but it has run its course. £600 off fleabay four years ago. A classic exercise in bangernomics, it owes me nothing. So glad I didn't fill it up at the start of my journey. Tax runs out at end of month. Insurance and MoT expire in April.

Currently waiting for the tow truck who will take it to the local Fire Service for them to play with.

The decision has been discussed, and agreed, with the lovely Helen. The chunkychicken will not be replaced. We shall be a one car family and I will be car free henceforth.

Wish me luck. The Brompton is ready for train days and I just need to summon the courage to start early commutting. Thinks.... could put the ice spikes on the tourer tomorrow, as the bike they ar eon has no luggage carrying capacity.

I wonder if an xtracycle will fit my revolution country explorer tourer or if a Kona Ute can be had on cycle2work.... can't get a trailer down our side passage you see.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Good luck, as one who has never driven, it always bemuses me how some people become so utterly reliant on their car just becuase they are lazy, not because they have a health problem.

I do not think you will look back at all.
My pride and joy failed its MOT 2 years ago and I got rid and was 100% bike committed.
I look back and think I was stpuid to look at it so lovingly. It was just a money pit.
I bought it in 2001, for £14,500.
Over the 9 years of ownership, it cost me 14,000 in repairs, tax, MOT etc etc

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I do not think you will look back at all.
My pride and joy failed its MOT 2 years ago and I got rid and was 100% bike committed.
I look back and think I was stpuid to look at it so lovingly. It was just a money pit.
I bought it in 2001, for £14,500.
Over the 9 years of ownership, it cost me 14,000 in repairs, tax, MOT etc etc
Not paid more than £1500 of my own money for a car in my life! Did have company cars for a while, but then took the money instead. No company car or money in lieu these days and all my bikes cost me more than the Fiat did.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Well done Greg.

I wouldn't bother with the ice tyres for your tourer. Weather due to turn 'normal' on Monday

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I'm basically car free although I do have a car..it gets used for longer trips...not that I ever do an longer trips..but if I sell it I will need to do longer trips...so i keep it in the garage costing both arms and legs ..for the day when I will do longer trips...:crazy:

400bhp

Guru
Good luck.

Ditched my pride and joy in October and I am a petrolhead too. I've not looked back-not needed or missed it & got a nice saving pot out of it too..

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good luck! I've been vehicle free since October :smile: not missed it, although it sounds like your commute is far more complex than mine
depends.

if done all by bike it is 20km mostly on rural roads and lanes. Can be deeply unpleasant and dangerous in the evening rush hour when it is dark hence I train it at this time of year.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm basically car free although I do have a car..it gets used for longer trips...not that I ever do an longer trips..but if I sell it I will need to do longer trips...so i keep it in the garage costing both arms and legs ..for the day when I will do longer trips...:crazy:
The lovely Helen has to drive to Worthing four days a week and we need a car to help with managing her elderly m-i-l at all hours in Crawley; so for long journeys we stil have access to a vehicle.

Unlike you BOAB, and I salute you for it, I don't have the willpower to ignore the car parked outside the house when the weather is grim and the evenings dark. Now I won't have the choice.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I don't have the willpower to ignore the car parked outside the house when the weather is grim and the evenings dark

..ah..well the trick for me is to hide the car out of site in the garage and keep the bikes in the hallway where I have to trip over the things to get out.^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

... my hand has been forced. The fates have decreed it. The stars are aligned. The gods have smiled. After labouring for months with a leaking head gasket/cooling system my old Fiat Cinquecento blew a hose this morning at 08:40 in a cloud of steam and smoke. I suspect she was frozen. Managed to get it back to the edge of town and park up without seizing it but it has run its course. £600 off fleabay four years ago. A classic exercise in bangernomics, it owes me nothing. So glad I didn't fill it up at the start of my journey. Tax runs out at end of month. Insurance and MoT expire in April.

Currently waiting for the tow truck who will take it to the local Fire Service for them to play with.

The decision has been discussed, and agreed, with the lovely Helen. The chunkychicken will not be replaced. We shall be a one car family and I will be car free henceforth.

Wish me luck. The Brompton is ready for train days and I just need to summon the courage to start early commutting. Thinks.... could put the ice spikes on the tourer tomorrow, as the bike they ar eon has no luggage carrying capacity.

I wonder if an xtracycle will fit my revolution country explorer tourer or if a Kona Ute can be had on cycle2work.... can't get a trailer down our side passage you see.

Well done lad, mine went 30 years ago.

Top Bottom