Who's going to make Tim Cook happy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Tim reckons we should all change our iPhones for the latest model every year. After all they issue a new model on that timescale.
https://9to5mac.com/2023/10/09/tim-cook-iphone-every-year-ev-greenwashing/
So who's going to make him a happy CEO?
In a magazine interview Cook said:

Question: Do you think we really need a new iPhone every year?

Cook: I think having an iPhone every year for those people that want it is a great thing. And what we do is we allow people to trade in their phone. And so we then resell that phone if it’s still working. And if it’s not working, we’ve got ways of disassembling it and taking the materials to make a new iPhone out of.

IMG_20231016_184003.jpg
Tim Cock.

Don't get me wrong I like a lot of Apple products and own some but this is the way to stir up negativity towards the brand.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I always wonder, who the heck listens to stuff like this (advertising basically) ...and suddenly thinks...ooh, that's a good idea,I'll do that/buy that.

People with no self control for the most part I guess.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Tim reckons we should all change our iPhones for the latest model every year.
Not what the article quotes him answering (below).
Question: Do you think we really need a new iPhone every year?
Cook: I think having an iPhone every year for those people that want it is a great thing.
Having a new one if you want it "is a great thing". Sure, 'if they want one'. As @gbb says: self control (would be one behaviour modification).
Good to see they facilitate trade-in or for those BER they aim to recycle as much as possible. Do you depreciate either of those elements?
And disrespectful caption, imo (and not quoting from the article). Seems to me You seem unreasonably "to stir up negativity towards the brand" not him reflecting the whining of 9to5Mac writer infelicitously named (not a ) Chance.
I once made a mistake referring to a "cook-off" (of a GPMG (machine gun) round) as a "cock-off" in print with wide distribution. Took a few months before that was mostly forgotten (though some are kind enough to recall it 40+ years later).

Drago

Legendary Member
I know first hand what bullpois their claims of super duper security are, so even if I were daft enough to have money to waste on rubbish I wouldn't put a penny his way.

postman

Legendary Member
no because mine is a Samsung Galaxy A32 5g and now down to less than a £10 per month.i do think Virgin have joined with some other company and monthly prices are well near £20,this is a good phone for me.

albion

Guru
Other way round possibly. iPhone being a luxury style item I imagine a majority replace close to 3 years.
And apart from the mega fast CPU, Apple do not even need to bother competing.

Still quite content with a 12mini. Feel no urge to change. Same with cars, no need for regular change

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
There are plenty of people who buy a new car every 3 years. Or upgrade their TVs when they don’t need to.
It’s the scourge of capitalism. Both my cars are over 6 years old. My TV is easily 10 years old. I don’t need new ones.
We recently had our alarm serviced, the guy laughed at our “old” out of date alarm. It was fitted in 2014. Why would I want to pay for a new one?

My android is three years old and as good as it was when I bought it. Might replace it next year.

I doubt I'd see much difference going to a new phone. What's different now ?

Apple annoys me with their quirks. I find iTunes so frustrating but I love android. My chrome book is fantastic and works great with the phone.

Top Bottom