Who's going to make Tim Cook happy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I remember my (previous employer) company issue Iphone 6 would overheat on long conference calls and shut itself down until it was cool enough to restart, I wasn't the only one randomly dropping off the conference calls, after a couple of months they stopped the monthly conference call as people were mostly connecting and disconnecting throughout rather than engaging in the call.

Other than the phone not being very good for conference calls and all functionality basically stopping because it needed i-tunes to upgrade the software because it couldn't do it over the air, and it's battery life being really quite poor, it was ok, it got me out of all kinds of problems at work, and often I could simply turn it off and claim the phone had overheated and no-one was any the wiser. :okay:

So apart from being crap, it was OK?

Can remember a while back when Apple were exposed for producing their products in sweatshops with minimal wages, dire conditions, worker rights at a minimum, etc. They tried to fob it off as not being under their control as the work was farmed out to 3rd parties. Apple are not the only ones who put a great deal of effort into washing their hands of corporate responsibility. Sign of the times I guess.

I remember the suicide nets at Foxconn being reported in the news. Apple was pressurising Foxconn to lower pricing as does many such companies like Walmart. Threatening losing contracts when Foxconn would have invested a lot in their production. The margin on iphones is huge more than any other phone brand. Apple would I'm sure think of that as good business tactics. People don't care, Amazon wouldn't be where they are today if workers rights were important. I certainly wouldn't want to have rigidly timed toilet breaks like in Amazon warehouses. Same with high cost carbon fibre bicycles, extremely labour intensive so reducing labour costs is actually much more important with high cost bicycles compared to cheap robot welded steel frames. A lot of designer clothes seem to still use the cheapest nastiest factories.

Personally I wouldn't buy an Apple iphone because the UK is running a large trading deficit and having to borrow huge sums of money . We are a bankrupt nation heading towards a IMF bailout. The government has no proper industrial policies and we have a legacy of debt mainly built up from transferring huge sums to the EU and running a large trading deficit with the block. All clearly documented at the office of national statistics site.

I have a Redmi Note 10 Pro bought from cashconverters for £80 delivered. It's pretty fast, amazing camera and has 6GB of memory and 128GB of built in storage. The later Note 11 Pro actually has an inferior spec in many ways. It can also take up to a 1TB micro sd card for extra storage and has two sim slots. Itdoesn't seem worth upgrading yet, yes later phones are a little faster but the Note 10 Pro is still a very fast phone in use. You can use a custom rom like the Pixel Experience rom I think its called which I will probably end up doing at some point.

Jr6a3GFCUTrt9RcKkhZh7M-650-80.jpg.jpg

I remember the suicide nets at Foxconn being reported in the news. Apple was pressurising Foxconn to lower pricing as does many such companies like Walmart. Threatening losing contracts when Foxconn would have invested a lot in their production. The margin on iphones is huge more than any other phone brand. Apple would I'm sure think of that as good business tactics. People don't care, Amazon wouldn't be where they are today if workers rights were important. I certainly wouldn't want to have rigidly timed toilet breaks like in Amazon warehouses. Same with high cost carbon fibre bicycles, extremely labour intensive so reducing labour costs is actually much more important with high cost bicycles compared to cheap robot welded steel frames. A lot of designer clothes seem to still use the cheapest nastiest factories.

Personally I wouldn't buy an Apple iphone because the UK is running a large trading deficit and having to borrow huge sums of money . We are a bankrupt nation heading towards a IMF bailout. The government has no proper industrial policies and we have a legacy of debt mainly built up from transferring huge sums to the EU and running a large trading deficit with the block. All clearly documented at the office of national statistics site.

I have a Redmi Note 10 Pro bought from cashconverters for £80 delivered. It's pretty fast, amazing camera and has 6GB of memory and 128GB of built in storage. The later Note 11 Pro actually has an inferior spec in many ways. It can also take up to a 1TB micro sd card for extra storage and has two sim slots. Itdoesn't seem worth upgrading yet, yes later phones are a little faster but the Note 10 Pro is still a very fast phone in use. You can use a custom rom like the Pixel Experience rom I think its called which I will probably end up doing at some point.

View attachment 710491

I have a Redmi 8a, some 3.5 years old now. Cheap as chips (in Thailand) and no issues. Only thing I'd like on my next phone would be some sort of image stabiliser, but that might be out of my cheap charlie price range.

Alex321

Veteran

I have a Redmi Note 10 Pro bought from cashconverters for £80 delivered.

And how is that Redmi Note any different to the Apple products in terms of "the UK is running a large trading deficit and having to borrow huge sums of money". It is just as foreign as any Apple product.

In fact I think pretty well all mobile phones you can buy are made outside the UK, with Nothing being the only UK based smartphone manufacturer (I'm not sure where their phones are actually made though).

But that's also valid for any phone not made in the UK (all of them?). Why single out Apple? Your Redmi phone, when new, was contributing to that deficit.

I don't actually know of a UK made phone and I think its fair to say spending less on imported items and using them for longer is beneficial to our trade situation. It's sort of a mute point anyway as my phone is secondhand so I'm just using an asset already existing in the country.

You see it all the time people who spend huge sums on imported goods, expensive cars which they replace perhaps every 2 to 3 years and then many foreign holidays and then they complain the politicians aren't running the country properly. It's the blame game where people never point at themselves. Obviously I will have an impact on the trade situation but I think compared to many it would be absolutely tiny. We do have significant earnings from exports but they are dwarfed by imports. It's really about taking economic responsibility for your actions and trying to avoid the consumer madness that is currently going on. Of course there are some who really don't care about the country and their communities and its all about what they want to do. Some people are extremely selfish and uncaring and may have a high disposable income which they enjoy spending with no worry about the consequences of their actions. The same people will probably complain about the state of the NHS or why aren't there enough police etc its just the way it is. I'm not writing anything controversial you'd have to be practically retarded not to understand the effects of running a huge trade deficit and sending huge sums abroad its no different to any family where they are spending more than they are earning just scaled up to 60 million plus people it leads to debt and a reduced standard of living. We aren't alone in this many EU countries have huge debts and the USA debts are absolutely crippling at over $30 trillion which seem ok compared to their GDP but in a recession the value of many US companies will freefall as people won't be able to afford those goods in a world recession. Stock values declined 89% in the great depression and the world is heading towards another great recession as these things come in cycles.

I try to buy secondhand and when I'm buying high value imported items I try to be as responsible as possible.

Alex321

Veteran
I don't actually know of a UK made phone and I think its fair to say spending less on imported items and using them for longer is beneficial to our trade situation. It's sort of a mute point anyway as my phone is secondhand so I'm just using an asset already existing in the country.

You see it all the time people who spend huge sums on imported goods, expensive cars which they replace perhaps every 2 to 3 years and then many foreign holidays and then they complain the politicians aren't running the country properly. It's the blame game where people never point at themselves. Obviously I will have an impact on the trade situation but I think compared to many it would be absolutely tiny. We do have significant earnings from exports but they are dwarfed by imports. It's really about taking economic responsibility for your actions and trying to avoid the consumer madness that is currently going on. Of course there are some who really don't care about the country and their communities and its all about what they want to do. Some people are extremely selfish and uncaring and may have a high disposable income which they enjoy spending with no worry about the consequences of their actions. The same people will probably complain about the state of the NHS or why aren't there enough police etc its just the way it is. I'm not writing anything controversial you'd have to be practically retarded not to understand the effects of running a huge trade deficit and sending huge sums abroad its no different to any family where they are spending more than they are earning just scaled up to 60 million plus people it leads to debt and a reduced standard of living. We aren't alone in this many EU countries have huge debts and the USA debts are absolutely crippling at over $30 trillion which seem ok compared to their GDP but in a recession the value of many US companies will freefall as people won't be able to afford those goods in a world recession. Stock values declined 89% in the great depression and the world is heading towards another great recession as these things come in cycles.

I try to buy secondhand and when I'm buying high value imported items I try to be as responsible as possible.

I wouldn't dispute any of that, it is just that "I wouldn't buy an Apple product because ..." when all other phones are exactly the same from that POV makes no sense. Why pick on Apple products?

If you had said you wouldn't "buy a new phone because ..." then fair enough, but that isn't what you said or suggested initially.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

View attachment 710491

Apple and Amazon are two companies whose products and services I won't use.

I recently moved away from the iPhone for only the second time time I got my first one, the iPhone 3G back in 2008.

First time I moved away was to the Samsung Galaxy 8. Hated that phon. Whatever Samsung added on top if android was simply awful and I was back with an iPhone within a year.

Most recently I moved away again, this time to a Google Pixel 7 Pro. After the initial honey period I began quite quickly planning my move back to iPhone. In what should be an excellent phone, the Pixel had some things I simply couldn’t overlook.

Despite being incredibly careful with the phone, never putting it in a pocket with anything else for example, it got a very nasty scratch on the screen within the first fortnight. Never had any like that on any other phone. Google make a big thing about the phone supporting face ID, which to be honest it does, but very very few android apps actually support face ID meaning that fingerprint recognition becomes the norm. Unfortunately the fingerprint reader just wasn’t up to the slick functionality I’d used elsewhere. Within 2 months I am now back with the iPhone and am probably one of those that upgrades my phone way more fr than necessary.

Drago

Legendary Member
But then face ID is a less secure than fingerprint ID, so while it may be more slick it's yet another example of Apple talking tough about security while walking the walk like John Inman.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's simple.

Fingerprints are unique. No one but no one has them the same as yours. Fingerprints afford an infallible means of personal identification, because the ridge arrangement on every finger of every human being is unique and does not alter with growth or age

Facial features are not unique. Identical twins, people bearing a general resemblance, or even a photograph are all it takes to spoof 2D facial recognition.

I was, very reluctantly, a skipper on a hi tec crime team for a short spell hence my disdain for Apples laughable claims about various aspects of their security, almost as laughable as the link you posted.

With Apple, and their latest generation iPhones, we are not talking 2D facial recognition though. I know of twin boys (their father works with me) who cannot unlock each other’s phone. With some trial and error we were able to bypass a fingerprint sensor on a Samsung phone though with extremely simple processes to obtain the owner‘s fingerprint and get it into a format to present to the phone.

The link posted was one of the first found and very much over simplifies both technologies and the vast majority of information out there has some bias about it. I would be very interested in reading any truly neutral in-depth analysis of it.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
It's simple.

Fingerprints are unique. No one but no one has them the same as yours. Fingerprints afford an infallible means of personal identification, because the ridge arrangement on every finger of every human being is unique and does not alter with growth or age

Facial features are not unique. Identical twins, people bearing a general resemblance, or even a photograph are all it takes to spoof 2D facial recognition.

I was, very reluctantly, a skipper on a hi tec crime team for a short spell hence my disdain for Apples laughable claims about various aspects of their security, almost as laughable as the link you posted.

Fingerprint sensors don't use the whole fingerprint though. They use a number of data points

Top Bottom