Who's going to make Tim Cook happy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have iPhone 11, iPad Pro and MacBook Air M1. The iPad is a 2017 model but still works great, no slowdown at all. I don't buy the very latest devices, but I did splurge on the M1 two years back, because it was worth it. It is, by a large margin, the best laptop I've ever used, and I've used a LOT over 30 years. It's easily the fastest apart from my gaming PC, it has the longest battery life, it's the quietest (completely silent), the nicest to use and so on.

I'd point out there are also plenty of sheep who slavishly buy the very latest Samsung phone, but they tend not to get the same publicity.

I have tried Android but didn't get on with it, going back to an iPhone felt like coming home.

Worth noting all MS Office apps have been available on MacOS for years now and as it's a subscription licence you can just download and install them rather than re-buying licences.

That might be so, but I everything has to work seamlessly and look identical to MS office files from Windows laptops that I work with/receive from colleagues and more importantly clients. I am not convinced that is the case with PPT/Excel/Word based on some of the files I see that have come from Mac users. I get a Windows laptop from work, I don't often use my personal laptop

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I haven’t got a TV and live in a cave

Dadam

That might be so, but I everything has to work seamlessly and look identical to MS office files from Windows laptops that I work with/receive from colleagues and more importantly clients. I am not convinced that is the case with PPT/Excel/Word based on some of the files I see that have come from Mac users. I get a Windows laptop from work, I don't often use my personal laptop

Fair enough. I've not experienced any differences between office docs originating on MacOS or Windows. Many formatting issues between a contractor's environment (win10, O365, Teams, Sharepoint) and our environment (win 10/11, google suite, O365, Teams) though. They tend to be from template differences rather than OS differences. There used to be a lot of issues with native text files between windows and Unix based (e.g MacOS) because of differences in handling of carriage returns/line feeds but I don't think I've come across those for some years now.

Personally if work give you a windows machine I'd use that for work stuff, and not feel limited in my choice of personal machine.

Alex321

Veteran

We have the standard MS Office apps on our work Macbooks, and the files appear identical in format to those produced on Windows devices, and fully interchangeable (It is mainly the developers with Macs, most of the analysts and other staff have Windows machines).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
About five years ago, Mrs Slowmotion lost the charger lead for her iPhone. I offered to get a cheap knock-off replacement on eBay but she insisted on getting the genuine article from the Apple Store in Westfield, Shepherds Bush. She went there, asked for a lead, and was told she would have to book an appointment forty minutes later. Apple finally deigned to sell her a lead for £21. The eBay knock off would have cost £3.60 including postage.

There's a sucker born every minute......quite a lot of them apparently.

Our directors are apple fans so at work i got a hand me down great old 5c from the general manager. I've still got it until I leave the company on Friday. The camera was always poor and after two (3 including the managers year with it) years the battery lasted a day only. Then a year later it started getting too hot to use of your phone call lasted longer than 15 minutes. Now I have to call off well before 10 minutes or I burn my ear! I did get offered an android replacement but I knew I was going to leave.

Imho there's no need to get an iPhone at all because midrange Samsung is as good or certainly good enough. It's android phones that are innovating not apple these days. I think you're a mug to get iPhone even now that they're not much more cost than high end Samsung phones. Plus annual replacement is not great environmentally too.

I do not buy the idea they're recycling neither. There simply isn't enough capability for all old iPhone to be recycled. Plus they never designed them with recycling in mind. That means they're not first effective to recycle and that won't happen.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I remember my (previous employer) company issue Iphone 6 would overheat on long conference calls and shut itself down until it was cool enough to restart, I wasn't the only one randomly dropping off the conference calls, after a couple of months they stopped the monthly conference call as people were mostly connecting and disconnecting throughout rather than engaging in the call.

Other than the phone not being very good for conference calls and all functionality basically stopping because it needed i-tunes to upgrade the software because it couldn't do it over the air, and it's battery life being really quite poor, it was ok, it got me out of all kinds of problems at work, and often I could simply turn it off and claim the phone had overheated and no-one was any the wiser. :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom