Something fishy going on at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Today I was going about my usual business at work and I popped into another department to photocopy some paperwork.As soon as I walked into there I was hit by a pungent smell of fish..
It was really strong and stomach churning to say the least and quickly made a comment about it.
The three staff in there where aware of it and they couldn't track down or work out where the smell was coming from, as nobody had eaten any fish whatsoever.
From past experience I instantly got an fair idea what it was.. After a quick look around I managed to track it down to another adjoining office.
There was a convector heater in there ,plugged into an extension reel that was 90% wound up on its reel.I quickly unplugged it from the wall and noticed the plug was hot to the touch.The other plug that was plugged into the reel was that hot it had virtually welded itself in place and the coiled up extension cables where hot to the touch.Smelling the plug it was obvious the fishy smell was coming from it..
I'm no expert but I had a similar experience a few years back and I only discovered the problem when it tripped the electrics.
Thankfully no harm was done today but it's something worth considering if you ever come across a strange unexplained fishy smell at home or work.Electrical sockets when overloaded will give off a nasty fishy smell.

DRM

Guru
Extensions should always be fully unwound when in use, especially when using a high current item like a heater

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It was just from a past experience that I put two and two together.It happened a few years back to me in my office.The smell was awful and thought someone had planted a rotting fish somewhere to wind me up..It turned out to be an overheating plug behind my computer desk that eventually melted and tripped the electrics

Reactions: DRM

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Well done. We had a leak in our bathroom years ago and I plugged a fan heater onto a 25m extension reel to dry it out. I can't remember if I smelled something or not, but I just put my hand on the reel and it was red hot. Lesson learned

DRM

Guru
Because heat generated by current flowing through the cable can't dissipate, especially if tightly wound on to a reel, the resistance to the current generates heat, it's how your electric fire/cooker functions

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Ahhh,I was overthinking why it gets hot.I was somehow thinking it was something to do with magnetic fields within the coils

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Sometimes a burnt toast smell can be the same thing.
We ended up with a localised fire in an office ceiling after everyone could smell burning toast for a few days. Luckily we were doing overtime on a Saturday, otherwise it could have been worse.

Top Bottom