Going carless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
The £15 per day cost of a car must include depreciation on the 'average' new car. Ours costs nothing like that - I get tax, insurance and depreciation to less than £2 per day, and then about 13p per mile in fuel. I guess you can add on a pound a day for servicing and repairs. Given that minimum bus fare for 1 person is £1.70 it's actually cheaper than public transport - which is absolutely ridiculous.

I think it includes depreciation new or second hand - but you're right, it was an average. Some will spend much more, some much less.

Agree with you about bus fare - it's extortionate. It costs me £5.20 to get to the city centre and back with my son, a journey of four miles each way, so as a rule we go on the bikes!

D

Deleted member 1258

I've just gone the other way, I brought a car about eighteen months ago, for the previous thirty years I was car free, we brought up our family without a car, we walked, used buses, occasionally got lifts and I cycled everywhere, for shopping we either used the bus or walked and used a large shopping trolley. holidays, we either took coach holidays or hired a car, now the kids have left, the mortgages are finished off, there's a little cash spare and we are now in our sixties and perhaps a little less mobile so a car makes sense.

young Ed

Veteran
@L14M and @CarlP
i cycle most places as i simply love it and prefer riding to sitting in a damn car! most people in my year would struggle with 10 miles or even 5, but having cycled now on and off for years comparatively my things are probably like elephants :tongue:

@Cuchilo
one day will save the pennies and get a nice road bike and a nice kayak and a nice sprinter and kit it out as i camper and tour Scandinavia riding the long flat nice open roads and paddling the lakes and fjords! :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Ah, Ed, you may change your mind a bit when you are old enough to actually be the driver... means you are in charge, not just sitting there! But I can tell you will never lose your love of cycling!
i would much, much rather be in a tractor than a car! thus why i will end up as a sheep farmer :smile:
Cheers Ed

uclown2002

Guru
Err...

To be fair i always offer to cycle. Recently i've started cycling to school, just as fast as the train but £1.25 a day cheeper. That's a new tyre every 2 weeks or 2 tyre levers a day. Or a innertube every 4 days. Thinking of it like this it always adds up!

Liam

Do they not teach English at your school?
^_^

KneesUp

Guru
I have to do Sheffield-London-Sheffield tomorrow. To be honest I'm glad I'm not cycling, or travelling by tractor, @young Ed :smile:

The alternatives are:

train - takes too long to get to the train station on a Sunday morning / too expensive to park if I drive / trains always seem to be cancelled for engineering works on Sunday / 2 x returns to London are more than it costs to go by car / takes to long to get from train station to the bit of London I need to go to

coach - as train, except slower and less pleasant

Car it is then. Sometimes they're the only option.

young Ed

Veteran
Do they not teach English at your school?
^_^
A few extra full stops and a non-capital 'I' and an before a vowel is all he's missed! :tongue:
I have to do Sheffield-London-Sheffield tomorrow. To be honest I'm glad I'm not cycling, or travelling by tractor, @young Ed :smile:

The alternatives are:

train - takes too long to get to the train station on a Sunday morning / too expensive to park if I drive / trains always seem to be cancelled for engineering works on Sunday / 2 x returns to London are more than it costs to go by car / takes to long to get from train station to the bit of London I need to go to

coach - as train, except slower and less pleasant

Car it is then. Sometimes they're the only option.
Why not the tractor?! some of them do 45mph or so and full air-con' and air suspension seats and they just crush any traffic or road works and you have full on board field mapping etc;very useful in London! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Unfortunately a car is needed .
I do cycle commute to work 20 mile round trip although there is no public transport to where i work and i cant give an exact finish time as its work till done kind of job .
Wife has the main use of the car with me ans a named driver and she uses it mainly for shopping , erm mebbe 2-3 miles away for a family of 4 shop , ferrying kids one of whom has kidney problems and need regular check ups at children's hospital and the wife gets tired easily due to her medical issues .

Top Bottom