Going Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIGSESAL

Ok so I've been riding a road bike since christmas and I am really enjoying it.

I have been thinking about going clipless but need a bit of advice. I have about 100 to 150 quid to spend but I would to spend as little as possible (being a teenager means I can't afford anything too fancy). This budget would include pedals, shoes, cleats and any tools I wouls need.

Does anyone know of any good pedal/shoe combinations? I would like something comfortable, easy to use and I don't really mind looking stupid in them. What types of pedal are best and what type of cleats would I need to buy? Also I am not very good at bike repairs or modifications, is this a job for the LBS or should I be OK? Anything I may have forgotten?

Thanks,
Scott

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
i use Look KEN pedals with shimano shoes, the classic KEN pedal is around £30 then the cleats are around £20 and then a cheap set of shoes is around £60 :tongue:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Do you want them purely for cycling in (in which case Looks or SPD-Rs would be a good option), or do you want to be able to walk in them without looking like a comedy lycra-clad duck (in which case a mountain bike system e.g. SPDs would be good)?

Radius

SHREDDER
I just went clipless recently, and I managed it for a total of £70. Shimano M076 shoes and M520 SPD pedals, from Wiggle and Merlin Cycles respectively. Double sided too. Definitely definitely worth it as well...

MajorMantra

I did it for just over £50 with LIDL shoes and M540s (a small step up from M520s). These are MTB style pedals though - you won't find a true road pedal/shoe combination for that little. I think the cheapest road shoe might be the dhb one here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_R1_Road_Shoes/5360033177/

...Though some shops still have some of last year's lines at discounted prices, so it's worth looking around.

Swapping pedals is extremely easy. For many pedals you use a 15mm spanner. Some (like the M540s) need an allen key. You need to pay attention to the direction of the threads for pedals as one side is reversed. You can think about this different ways, I find it easiest to remember it as being normal lefty-loosey/righty-tighty on the drive side, and the opposite for the other side.

Matthew

EDIT: Btw, check ebay for pedals. IIRC you can get SPD-SLs (road pedals) for about £25 new.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I would suggest SPD-SL. Ive had Look Keos, and broke two sets of them. Then got SPD-SL and they are much better i think. Not hard to clip into at all, people just say they are because theres only one side you can clip into them at. Which is a load of rubbish.
SPD i found was harder, smaller target to aim for, silly little cleat on the bottom of the shoe, if the pedal gets moved round from where you normally clip in, you have to push it over, which isnt as easy as SPD-SL. SPD-SL you just slip your foot straight in, SPD you slip your foot in after a while when you have got used to them, but even now i still miss something.
These are the pedals i have, but they were cheaper when i got them.
105 SPD-SL
And for shoes i have these, which are nice, and not too bad.
Shimano shoes
And they are on sale now, and not for a bad price.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd recommend trying on the shoes that you end up buying before you part with your pennies, different manufacturers shoes of the same size are very different in their fit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look are fine - just don't buy the cheap crap....

Depends upon your riding - SPD's are great for commuting, or where you need to walk.

SPD SL or Look for road stuff - no walking though....... I'm still an old skool Look Delta rider - flippin great..but using pedals that are rather good = next to no servicing... Campag C Record (never been touched) and Look Carbo Pro.... erm..... greased once.........

killiekosmos

Veteran
Got Lidl cycling shoes, bought Shimano PD520s, practiced clipping in and out in garden against wall ,then got out on the road. Going great, remembering to unclip well in advance, until I came to a quiet junction out in the country. Unclipped left foot, breaked gently to come to a halt but had my weight to the right - stopped at junction and propmpty fell over. My first clipless moment.

MajorMantra

killiekosmos said:
Got Lidl cycling shoes, bought Shimano PD520s, practiced clipping in and out in garden against wall ,then got out on the road. Going great, remembering to unclip well in advance, until I came to a quiet junction out in the country. Unclipped left foot, breaked gently to come to a halt but had my weight to the right - stopped at junction and propmpty fell over. My first clipless moment.

In my week and a bit of clipless riding I haven't had a proper fall but I've had a couple of incidents. My first was in the first 20 minutes when my (insufficiently tightened) right cleat came loose from the shoe and just rotated rather than unclipping. It ended up stuck in the pedal and I spent 10 minutes on a pavement levering it out. Learnt my lesson on that one...

My second incident was almost a proper 'moment'. I unclipped my left foot and then accidentally clipped back in as I put it down on the road. Cue emergency release as I toppled - somehow I managed to avoid falling all the way.

Matthew

Top Bottom