Going for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I'm planning on Going For It tomorrow!

The distance is 40 miles and I'm assuming it'll take me 4 hours (I usually average between 12-13mph on my hour-long journeys but this route is hillier than normal).

I will pack some flapjacks and bananas. Should I stop every hour for a reasonable pitstop or should I just try and keep going? Should I have a lunch break at Maldon (just over half way) or will that make it hard to cycle in the afternoon? Anyone have any other recommendations/hints and tips for my first long cycle ride? Thanks!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Auntie Helen said:
Well I'm planning on Going For It tomorrow!

The distance is 40 miles and I'm assuming it'll take me 4 hours (I usually average between 12-13mph on my hour-long journeys but this route is hillier than normal).

I will pack some flapjacks and bananas. Should I stop every hour for a reasonable pitstop or should I just try and keep going? Should I have a lunch break at Maldon (just over half way) or will that make it hard to cycle in the afternoon? Anyone have any other recommendations/hints and tips for my first long cycle ride? Thanks!

I'm quite happy to be a chap in this context, no worries...:biggrin:

I would say don't feel you have to stop every hour, if you feel you're flying, or even just doing ok, keep going. Although watch you don't get too dehydrated and over do it. Listen to your body really. Things like flapjack, you can snack as you go anyway. I'd also say have a good lunch stop, but then that's my general philosophy for life!;) Just don't have too big a lunch, and give it a little time to go down before you press on. If you're thinking of buying lunch, I find something like a jacket potato is good, or sandwiches. I expect there are all sort of rules on what to have and not to have, but I find something with a bit of stodge, not too fatty, and maybe a side serving of salad is good - physically and pschyologically. (If you feel you've eaten healthy, you feel fitter...)

A lunch stop at just over half way is good, because you've done more than half and that's another mental boost...

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Stupid question but how do I know if I'm getting dehydrated.

I tend to fill up my water bottle (which is one of the bigger ones, probably 750ml) before I go on my hour-long rides but rarely drink even a third of it. However when I get home I then have several cups of tea. Should I buy a couple of litres of water as I'm passing shops? (I don't want to lug too much stuff with me from the start as I've already got to carry a change of clothes to not frighten the parents with my smell, and I'm not taking my rack and panniers, just the sidebags on the Trice).

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm probably not the best to say, because I know I probably don't drink as much water as I should. I've heard it said that if you're thirsty, it's already too late, you're dehydrated.

I'd fill your bottle, and sip as you go along and see how it goes. If you're stopping for lunch you can always get a cafe to refill it from the tap. I doubt I'd get through that much in 40 miles, but as I say, I know I don't drink much compared to some. If you can make yourself drink more, it'll help ward off fatique.

Of course, it also means you have to have more comfort breaks!

Another thing I do, also probably a no-no, is to have some sweets to suck as I go along, polos, or murray mints or something. Just another little sugar boost, and again, can help psychologically if you get a bit tired....

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm so proud - I went for it!

My 40 mile journey ended up as 45 miles (I took a couple of wrong turns :$) but I really enjoyed it and don't feel that knackered. I have slightly tired knees but my deckchair seating arrangement on the recumbent trike means that my back, backside and neck are all very comfortable.

I stopped twice, one after 16 miles at a rather fine tea room in Tiptree (had a pot of tea and slice of victoria sandwich cake) and then 10 miles further on I stopped for a jacket potato at a pub, probably nearly an hour off the road there. I then did the final 18 miles in one go, wanting to get there.

I arrived on my parents' doorstep with the bike and my Mum's face was a picture, she was speechless. Both she and Dad couldn't believe I'd cycled all that way. Took me just under 4 hours with an average of 12.1mph so I'm pretty happy with that.

However I don't think I'm going to turn into a long distance tourer, I think I like journeys of 25 miles or less for general enjoyment, but I feel very proud to have managed this!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh well done! Sounds like you broke it up just perfectly!:tongue:

It doesn't matter if you don't do this regularly, the thing is, you have done it, and you now know you could do it again. And if you've done 45, then 50 or 60 is not such a big jump. Most weeks I do a few miles, literally 3 or 4, commuting on my upright. Out on a leisure ride by myself, I would probably do up to 20. Out with a gang of mates, maybe 30 or 40. But I know that if it came to it, I could do 60 (68 is my most ever - done on the trike.) And I'm just starting to think, it would be cool to do 100...

That's a good average speed as well, I reckon!

Also, you realise, you've earned cake for a whole week?:thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Also...

If you were going to go touring, you could take much longer than 4 hours over that distance, with stops to look at stuff and so on. So it just gives you a whole new type of holiday you can go on....

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Actually one of the things I found most enjoyable was going through new scenery at a pace which meant I could enjoy the view but didn't take all day. I live to the north-east of Colchester but never really think of cycling south of Colchester; however the stretch between Colchester and Tiptree on the back roads was lovely - rolling hills (and not too hard to get up in the Trike, fortunately) and some interesting water towers and houses. I plan to take my husband on a mini tour to Tiptree and back sometime - knowing there's the tea room half way is a real encouragement.

What was more noticeable was that as I got south of Maldon the area became more built up, the roads rougher and the general cycling ambience less pleasant. You really get a feel of the landscape and general environment when cycling - I used to drive these roads all the time and didn't really notice the stuff I noticed from the bike.

And this morning - I feel fine, no problem with knees, no unusual aches and pains. I was going to have a rest day but Uncle James has just asked if we'll go cycling today and I'm definitely in the mood for a gentle pootle around the country lanes to a hostelry 8 or 9 miles away.

This cycling lark is great fun, ain't it!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Auntie Helen said:
And this morning - I feel fine, no problem with knees, no unusual aches and pains. I was going to have a rest day but Uncle James has just asked if we'll go cycling today and I'm definitely in the mood for a gentle pootle around the country lanes to a hostelry 8 or 9 miles away.

This cycling lark is great fun, ain't it!

It is indeed. It is amazing how quickly you find yourself hooked :-)

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
...and the postman just delivered all the Altura wet-weather gear I ordered after being drenched the other day. Beautiful sunshine outside and I got baked just trying the stuff on (it fits, hurrah!)

So won't be trying it out in anger today, at least.

Top Bottom