Going from three to two wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

machew

Veteran
Thinking about get an n+1, how hard is it to go from a three wheel recumbent to a two? Does anyone have any pointer I need to look out for if I lost 1/3 of the wheels that I am used to?

byegad

Legendary Member
Stopping and starting is the 'only' issue.

BenM

Veteran
nowt wrong with two wheeled 'bents - especially when you need to get through thin gaps! Stopping is a bit of an issue but you get used to the bruises after a while (seriously - you only fall off a couple of times). Hill climbing is fun cos you can't stop for a rest halfway up anywhere near as easily as you can on a trike.

B.

starhawk

People are different, when I changed from an upwrong two-wheeler to a trike it was like paradise, this is the way you should bike. To change back to a two-wheeler, even a bent one, is not on the map, No Way!

did enjoy riding my musahi catbike as it was fast, and fun to ride but since switching to a trike its def more comfortable and just as much fun!! recumbents are a guaranteed to give you the grin factor !

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I went from 2 wheels (Bachetta Strada high racer) to 3 wheels with an ICE Trice S. You should find that the 2 wheeler is faster, but they're a bit of a pain if you stop at lights on a steep hill! The high racers, riding position is a lot better in heavy traffic than the trike, and fits where trikes have to be carried.

Also, bear in mind that you get more attention on a trike.......if you're an attention seeker, you may feel a bit more anonymous on a 2 wheeler (only a bit though.)

Now that I've had the Trice a few weeks, I've found that my 'cruising' speed is increasing, so maybe the slightly different riding position means that I've been using different muscles, which are now building up. I'm back on the Strada next week....I don't want to lose my racing muscles!

If I had to give up a recumbent.....I think the Strada would be the one to go........but she'd be missed.

Just make sure you keep both!

Top Bottom