going slowly downhill - would mastering breaking technique help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Remember, downhills are for getting your breath back and having a rest after riding uphill. If you go fast it's over too quickly, and you get to the bottom of the next hill all too soon. Pump those brakes, enjoy it, make it last.

And slightly more seriously, remember that at this time of year a lot of road surfaces are covered with slippery wet leaves.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Thanks for all the tips folks. I'm a hit confused about the weight distribution. I would have thought that since gravity would bring the weight to the front of the bike, I should position my weight nearer the back to counteract this?
No, according to this blog, you need to put more weight to the front of the bike to stabilise it: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/03/speed-wobble-when-the-bike-shakes-its-head/

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
A
Remember, downhills are for getting your breath back and having a rest after riding uphill. If you go fast it's over too quickly, and you get to the bottom of the next hill all too soon. Pump those brakes, enjoy it, make it last.

And slightly more seriously, remember that at this time of year a lot of road surfaces are covered with slippery wet leaves.

Agree. There's nothing wrong with being a little cautious and slow on descents, especially at this time of year.

byegad

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the tips folks. I'm a hit confused about the weight distribution. I would have thought that since gravity would bring the weight to the front of the bike, I should position my weight nearer the back to counteract this?
Yes sit as far back on the saddle as you can with as little weight on your hands as you can manage, try this on the flat to get the right feel.
Then on a slight hill try braking with your arms braced so that you don't move forward. Use both brakes with approximately the same force on each lever.
Next go to a steeper hill with a good road surface and practice. It's all about confidence that you can react to a problem. Remember brake on the straights to a speed lower than you feel you need for the next bend. Free-wheel around the corner and then brake on the next straight to get your speed down for the next one. Gradually allow your top speed on the straights to rise and brake later and harder for the next bend, soon you'll end up enjoying the rush of a fast descent.

Top Bottom