Going to Calvi and dreading it - anybody been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Going there in a week. I've never been on a package summer holiday so I'm dreading it; I fear it will be hot, expensive, noisy at night and full of towerists.

Someone please tell me I'm going to enjoy it; is there any bike hire in Calvi?

The only redeeming factor is that it's French and the French usually don't put up with rubbish food and hotels.

Ajay

Veteran
Ooh, don't let the Corsicans hear you calling them french - that's one way to guarantee a crappy holiday!
I had a night in Calvi in May on my "Raid Corsica" ride, got there in heavy rain after a 200km ride from Bastia via Cap Corse, and then away before 8am next day, so didn't get to see too much of the town. The setting on the bay is beautiful, but then so is everywhere on the island!
Calvi is more like a french riviera resort than any other on the island, a little of that slightly faded belle epoque vibe in the old town.
It will be hot, expensive and full of tourists - in Calvi I'd say more "mature" well-to-do French, Italians and Russians.
Definitely hire or take a bike, the island has the best cycling roads in europe!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Superb walking as well.
830334431_4fe038238e.jpg

ASC1951

Guru
Yes, superb walking within easy reach and Calvi has a fine old citadel in a stunning location. One of those ports favoured by the international rich - harbour full of top end boats with disreetly armed guards. Well, it was when I went to do the GR20 <cough> thirty five years ago.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, superb walking within easy reach and Calvi has a fine old citadel in a stunning location. One of those ports favoured by the international rich - harbour full of top end boats with disreetly armed guards. Well, it was when I went to do the GR20 <cough> thirty five years ago.
You beat me by a whole decade!:smile:

ASC1951

Guru
Where are you flying from and who is the package with, Globalti, if you don't mind me asking? Corsica has always struck me as a top destination for a week's cycling out of season, but last time I looked there weren't many flights or packages from northern airports, so I normally go to Mallorca or the Canaries.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sleazyjet from Manchester to Calvi, apparently. Package is with Corsican Places: http://www.corsica.co.uk/Accommodation/19000234/51691/Hotel-Regina.aspx

U

User482

Calvi's lovely. We stayed in the citadel on our honeymoon. Take a sailing boat trip, go walking in the mountains, hire a car and explore the interior. Try the locally produced cured meats (which are exceptionally good), boar stew ("sanglier" in French), wine and beer.

As others have said, it's expensive, but this does have the benefit of keeping out the riff raff. Pip pip!

If you fancy a change of scene, there's a ferry to Nice, but you'd need to stay overnight.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As a young teenager I went on a sailing holiday to Corsica in 1974. The boat got stolen in Calvi. This may have coloured my judgement of the place.

ASC1951

Guru
Sleazyjet from Manchester to Calvi, apparently.
Very sensible. According to Corsican Places, their preferred flights are with Titan Airways, where every passenger sits in a leather seat - that is way above my pay grade. Good hotel in a stunning location, you'll have a great time.

And to almost quote young GregCollins, my visit to Calvi was a mountain-bashing holiday as a young adult. I saw the posters for the Mlle Grosse Poitrine Calvi contest but missed the event by a week, which may have coloured my judgement of the place ...

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks, I'm beginning to relax a bit. The last two weeks of searching for a holiday has stressed the hell out of me but I can already feel that Corsican red wine beginning to work its magic. Just need to buy a Rough Guide and a map in Manchester tomorrow.

Top Bottom