Going to get Step-daughter #2. Urgent advice regards disc brakes Reqd.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Remember the fiasco with Halfords ove her "new" bike that was crap but Halfords did sort / replace it, so that's by the by.

However we are meeting her on the M6 tomorrow, she'll have a large hold-all and medium suitcase and there will then be 3 of us in the car (Corsa) so no option of dropping the back seat.

PLUS (obviously) she'll be being dropped off with her new bike.

Now to the real questions.

How do I get the wheels off the bike when it has disc brakes ?

I believe they are cable discs, what happens if they are hydraulic discs (don't suppose they are, it is Halfords after all) ?

I suppose I'm basically asking how you fix a puncture on a discs bike.

longers

Legendary Member
EF, just undo the quick release or the nuts and the wheel pops out. They're the easiest type of wheel I've yet removed as you don't need to disconnect or touch the brakes.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
longers said:
EF, just undo the quick release or the nuts and the wheel pops out. They're the easiest type of wheel I've yet removed as you don't need to disconnect or touch the brakes.

Cheers Longers, after I posted that I realised I was talking like a Dufoss,
the bloody brake calliper is fixed to the frame, innit ?

I should really have posted that in the "Not Quite Up To The Beginners Forum" Forum !! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Cyclista

Elmer Fudd said:
I suppose I'm baically asking how you fix a puncture on a discs bike.

Erm, the same as you do on a bike with V's or canti's :biggrin:
Undo the QR, remove wheel from bike, fix puncture, replace wheel making sure the disk is aligned correctly to slide between brake pads, redo QR, infate & ride. :biggrin:

There should be no need to undo or adjust anything on the brake when you remove the wheel. All you need to be careful of is when the wheel is removed no-one pulls on the lever as this may cause the pistons to pop out of the housing. With a cable system this is not too much of a problem as it is a fairly simple process to re-seat them, but with hydraulics it normally mean a full system bleed to get them working again, unless you are very lucky.

barq

Like others have said you want to avoid pulling the brake levers with the disc rotor removed. To be on the safe side put a wedge between the brake pads - a couple of business cards folded in half will do the trick. Nothing greasy though!

Top Bottom